2 stroke troubles

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by kdalton324, Apr 7, 2017.

1. kdalton324

kdalton324 Well-Known Member

So I have a two stroke craftsman weed wacker that i have had nothing but trouble with since last year. This morning I took it apart and cleaned the carb, flushed the gas tank with new high grade gas with fresh oil. still nothing.
    For years my grandfather has always had me mix gas and oil using old oil from an oil change. Is that the underlying problem?

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm This Space For Rent Supporter

It very well could be.
    You should be using clean fresh oil specifically designed for 2-stroke engines.

dsmythe likes this.

3. blanket

blanket Well-Known Member

yes your mix of crankcase oil and gas have not done you a favor

dsmythe likes this.
  4. MichaelZ

MichaelZ Well-Known Member Supporter

Old 10W30 oil? Not good. Drain it all out and then get Premium gas (containing NO ethanol) with new 2 cycle oil (as it sounds you have done). Mix in some SeaFoam - if your carburetor is fouled up, this might help.

Unleaded gas containing ethanol causes a lot of carburetor problems.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    fordy and dsmythe like this.
  5. jerrystead

jerrystead Well-Known Member

first off: yes the used (4 cycle) engine oil is not a good thing. I would hope that there is no engine damage from that.
    Second: you probably have carburetor issues, and I've found over the years that you can buy replacement carbs online (ebay,amazon, etc) for usually ~$20 or so. That is by far the biggest headache relief that you can get dealing with those little carburetors.

6. jwal10

jwal10 Well-Known Member Supporter

That gas mix is hard on cylinder walls and rings. My guess is that compression is low....James

7. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

I just purchased a quart of 93 octane gas with oil already mixed , NO ethanol at all from Tractor Supply for about $6.xx ! They list on the can which Mfgers their gas is compatable with . , fordy

8. kdalton324

They sell that at lowes which is about twenty minutes closer for me. And I looked into getting that. But I have two acres that I trim and so I'd be going through two quarts a week at least. And that's not including when I use my chainsaw or my auger. So the pre mixed stuff is just way to expensive for me.

9. kdalton324

Finally had some time to tinker with the dam thing today. Tore the whole moron apart, cleaned the carb and cylinder. Re primed it added some starting fluid and we were off to the races. It runs likes it's a few years younger. I'll probably only get another year or two out of it but at least I don't have to buy a new one this year.

10. 1948CaseVAI

1948CaseVAI Well-Known Member

If it is an older unit just go forward and never put dirty fuel/oil in it again. For new units, some manufacturers will not honor the warranty if you do not use their pre-mix. And they have marker molecules in their blend so they can identify on tear down whether or not you have used the prescribed fuel. If they are going to stand the cost of warranted repairs it does not seem out of line for them to demand what fuel you use.

11. Clem

Clem Realist

Leaving fuel in the lines overwinter is the worst problem I run across.

12. kdalton324

I got it running but it kept having problems. i ended up buying a stihl 111

13. LincTex

LincTex Well-Known Member

Using used engine oil isn't hard on the carb or engine, but you have to mix it at 20;1 to do any good for viscosity reasons. Most modern carbs aren't adjustable enough to make that work.

The BIGGEST things is ash/carbon - - two-stroke oil is ASHLESS and that is VERY important to keep the piston, rings, spark plug and combustion chamber cleaned. $-cycle oil wasn't meant to be burned and is relatively high ash.

I have had good luck with the cheap chinese reproduction carbs on ebay for $10-15... My Stihl MS290 runs one right now.