2 runny noses

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Ellie5, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

I have two doelings, 5 months & 10 months with runny noses-started today. No other symptoms (cross fingers). I can hear them when they breathe, but otherwise acting normal. Should I use a bulb & suction out their noses? Should I be giving them something? At what point/syptoms should I become worried?

They have free choice minerals & hay free choice, grain once a day, let out to pasture for several hours a day, spacious quarters outside with shelter when not at pasture (not housed inside). They ate their grain today, and are interested in the hay. I'm thinking it's because of our weather that's been 98 degrees for almost a week, then last night 74 degrees & rain/thunder showers today. Would this do it? I've heard goats can go downhill quickly & am afraid it might happen when I'm at work.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Hi Ellie5,

Do they have a temperature. If they do not have a temperature and the breathing that you can hear is from the runny nose and not the chest and the discharge is clear or white, you PROBABLY have an allergy or a cold. I capitalized the probably because there isn't enough to be sure on the long distance internet. It would be good to keep close eye on them to ensure that it isn't something more severe and in the event that it becomes more severe.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

In a large herd you wouldn't even notice if someone just had a runny or snotty nose. Goats don't catch colds like we do, but when it's dusty out they can get runny noses or weepy eyes, just like we do. Just like if your child had a runny nose, you would check their temperature. You may want to get an antibiotic and needles and syringes on hand (any 200 mg Tetracycline) but you wouldn't want to use an antibiotic unless you have fever, over 103.

Weather change, especially when it is wet and rainy, their bedding or they get wet, is very stressfull, and the runny nose is after all stress related, an overgrowth of pasturella (normally found in low levels in the nose of all goats) in their nose. If they don't fight it off with an immune response than it overgrows, you have pnemonia, and yes pnemonia can kill quickly.

Probiotics, change the bedding if it got wet, get them out of the barn into the sunshine, and take their temp for a few days. Make sure that when they are stuck in the barn from rain that it is light and airy, that they aren't getting wet, and that you don't close down the barn where humidity builds up. Vicki

4. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

Thank you. No, they don't have a fever. They seem better today, not so runny and I can't hear them breathing through mucous. Their bedding did get wet, so I changed it. Rainy today, also, so I have to keep an eye on that. I'll keep taking the temp as suggested for a few days, too.

Yes, I do have a small herd and worry about them. They are part of my starter herd (pets, too!) so my experience is lacking, to say the least.

Thank you again!