2 Questions. What book for beginner? What book for holistic?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by MN Mom, Dec 29, 2005.

1. MN Mom

MN Mom Well-Known Member

Hey all, I have 2 questions. I am wondering if a newbie was to only get one goat book, which one do you think would be the best to get?

My other question is, do any of ya'll have any recommendations for a holistic/natural health orientaled goat book(s)? Thanks so much!!!

Sara

2. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't limit myself to one book. Goatkeeping 101 by Caprine Supply has alot of info on all breeds of goats and their needs. I also like Raising Meat Goats for Profit by Gail Bowman. Though her main focus is on Boer Goats, I find much of the information can be applied to all goats, such as the chapters on goat health and kidding. If I were to buy a book on goat illnesses, Goat Medicine would be my choice. My friend has this book and I read it when I have questions about symptoms and treatment. I also have a few books on dairy goats. I haven't found one on holistic health, but the Hoegger catalog has natural remedies available and there are some vets who do holistic medicine.

3. outofmire

outofmire Well-Known Member

There is a book for holistic stuff out there I think. I've been looking for it, but can't remember where I saw it.

Anyway, since you are interested in holistic information, I highly recommend The Complete Herbal Handbook for Farm and Stable

I've had mine for a year, and I just keep learning more all the time. It isn't well written, and sometimes it is a little difficult to understand what she means, or what dosage to use, but she often covers it in a different section of the book. It's like she wrote the book in sections, and then pieced it together. And then sometimes it seems like she went back during the compilation of her notes and added another note or two. But I still think it is very useful. I've also heard that Herbs for Pets is good. I plan to get that book soon.

I also recommend Natural Goat Care by Pat Coleby and Goat Husbandry by David MacKenzie. Each book gives slightly different information, which is helpful when you are trying to understand goat care while developing your own strategy. Everybody has their own way of doing things. Natural Goat Care is not herbal at all, but does help you think about the effects of minerals and vitamins on the health of the animal. She uses minerals in the way an herbalist might use herbs. Goat Husbandry had a great section on the natural behavior of goats that I hadn't found any where else.

If you want something that covers the basics very well, Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats will work. You may find it at your library. When I was starting out, I primarily used it and the information on the Fias Co Farm website to guide me. But now I want to experiment and develop my own ways of doing things, so I use the other books I mentioned more.

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Those are both great for a more natural method!!

5. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I like Natural Goat Care by Pat Colby. I have a couple of other recommended goat books.

BUT...I have learned far more practical, useful knowledge right here on this WONDERFUL FORUM!!!!! :dance:

6. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Both "Natural Goat Care" and "Goat Husbandry" are available via interlibrary loan in MN. If you go to MNLink, you can search all the Minnesota library catalogues and find all the goat books in the state!
    I love the library.