2 questions: heirloom tomatoes & forsythia

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by countrygrrrl, Jun 12, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

1. My heirloom tomatoes which i've so lovingly raised since they were seeds :waa: are nice and healthy looking, but very small in comparison to storebought varieties --- I have a number of storebought variety volunteer tomatoes all over my yard :rolleyes: and they're positively gigantic next to my heirloom tomatoes.

Is this because storebought variety tomatoes have been hybrid-ed (?) to be fast growers and big plants? Or ... ???

2. The leaves on my forsythia bushes are turning yellowish. I checked for bugs --- none. We've had quite a bit of rain, although not over the past few days. Could the rain be affecting the forsythia? Or should I fertilize? Or ... ?

2. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

In my experience volunteers are generally hardier plants. However, if they were hybrids (and most store bought varieties are), the fruit will probably be a big cherry tomato and not as nice as your heirlooms once they catch up. Don't have a clue about forsythia.

katy

3. I have all heirloom tomatoes this year. They are huge with strong stems. I started them as seeds and they had a rough start, but I'm impressed with the growth and hardiness they've shown.
    Marglobe and St Pierre. Free packet of Sun something cherry tomatoes, nearly lost them all but 4.

Sorry no idea about the Forsythia. Could be rain, underground buggies??

4. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

Check for gophers, and maybe could try some horse manure. (For the forstyhias) I use manure around mine for fertilzer as well as to help retain moisture... I doubt you could drowned them as I had mine in a water trough before I finally got them in the ground...

5. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Gophers!???!! :yeeha:

:no: That won't do at all. I'm after the horse manure!

And yes, Katy, my volunteer storebought tomatoes are huge, hardy things. i even accidentally mowed one and it came back. The heirlooms are lovely guys, but very slow. In any case, thanks. :)