2 questions-goats milk for replacer

Discussion in 'Goats' started by seanmn, Jan 15, 2007.

1. seanmn

seanmn Well-Known Member

Is it ok to use goat milk thats frozen in the freezer for milk replacer to lambs or orphan kids? I have a few alpine and saanan dairy goat does that I use to breed with a boer buck, and they seem to produce almost too much milk especially if they only have 1 kid, it would sure be cheaper to save some of that milk than have to run to the store to buy milk replacer, could it also be mixed with milk replacer?
    Also I usually have a heck of a time getting those dairy doe's to dry up...any tips? I thought about putting them in a pen and just feeding them corn stalk or straw along with a little bit of 1st crop alfalfa hay.

2. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

I've read on here that many folks freeze colostrum, so why not milk? It's easier to heat up for sure and I would think it would be much better than milk replacer.

As for drying up does, if you still feed them grain they will take longer. I do know that. Try cutting out the grain entirely but let them have good hay.

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, you can certainly feed frozen milk.

4. Jim S.

Jim S. Well-Known Member

Yes, use the goat's milk. Free is a good price! Warm it in a pan of water or thaw on the counter. Never use a microwave. (You prolly know that, but ya never know.)

I agree on going to hay only. Do it gradually over a week, and you can feed the poorer quality hay, too. Excess protein is not what she needs to dry off. DO keep giving water, though. Lots of folks think witholding water helps. That's a myth that just makes it hard on the animal.

Either way, she'll go through an uncomfortable phase. You just have to live through that in my opinion. Some say to milk her off a little, but I think that just stimulates more production. Good luck.