Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, So my husband and I are some what new to raising pigs. We started with 4 sows. All bred within same month. All birthed within 2 1/2 weeks of each other staring back June 18th. However the last litter we had on July 5th, we've had 2 doe within the last couple of weeks. They acted very lethargic at times and other times they would walk around and waller in the mud. Some days they would eat and others they would not. The first one was like that for about a week and a half or so. I thought she was getting better and then I found her dead. I found the second one today and she had same symptoms.... We're in North Florida and I know the weather has been unbearably hot and they have water most of the time. They don't go without for very long if they do. And the rest of the piglets all seem to be fine. Has anyone ever come across this before? Thanks in advance!!

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
There are a world of possibilities as to what could have killed your piglets. I have to say what stands out to me in your statement is the following

I know the weather has been unbearably hot and they have water most of the time. They don't go without for very long if they do.

I will be honest, this just will not do, if you plan on keeping pigs alive very long, no matter how big or little they are. Pigs are covered in fat, they do not tolerate heat very well. There is no such thing as giving them water "most of the time". They need water ALL the time. Just as important as water is a waller where they can actually get their body wet to help cool them. Shade is also a must in hot climates such as Florida. I do not know what made your pigs die. I can tell you, a very short time without water and a way to cool themselves and pigs will die in the heat.

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,362 Posts
Most folks start out raising a couple pigs for slaughter. After getting a few seasons of experience raising pigs, some are confident and knowledgeable enough to get into breeding and raising litters.
Even in the far north, pigs get sunburned, suffer heat stroke and die.
Babies in FL July and August need special care, just as northern pigs require special care in January and February.
Heat Stroke/dehydration is my first guess. Mineral deficiency my second guess. Just because I don't know if you feed minerals. Third guess is malnutrition. Just because I don't know if they are getting a balanced ration.
My final guess is disease. Could be that you have a population of wild hogs that have access to your pigs and they have come down with some disease.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses... Just didn't make any sense why all 32 other piglets are perfectly fine. The sows and our 400lb boat hog are also fine. And their pens are 90% shade, they have made several wallows themselves, that we fill with water throughout the day. Water is given very often as well. They will dump it out to fill up the wallows at times, but I go back to refill the troughs. They do have one of the cup waters with 50 gal barrel in the pen as well.
So when they dump out the trough of water the have a secondary water source. They eat very good food mixed by local feed mill... So all in all just didn't know of out could have possibly been something else... Either way we don't plan on having little ones this time of year again because of the heat. Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts