Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought 5 calves from a local farmer. 3 are doing real good 1 is down and will not get up when I lift her she will not even straighten out her legs. been down for about 24 hours now. I also got 1 steer that is not doing so well he just laid down today and doesn't want to move. The Female is laying on her side I can get her to lay up on her haunches but will soon roll to her side legs straight out. The steer is up on its haunches. Any advice please......

Arnie

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
how old are they?
I lost a three month old recently that I had bought as "weaned" I'd had him for a month. The necropsy showed he had cysts in his lungs from a healed pneumonia and one had popped poisoning him~ but he might have made it if I"d thought to worm such a young calf. At his age my vet agrees he should not have had a huge worm load but he sure did. The barber pole worms are bad this year and becoming resistant to the wormers. In GA your not all that for from me~ worming might be needed even if they are young calves.
Good luck

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not tetanus if their legs can bend at all. Anyway I second calling the vet!!

Could they have gotten into something?
They could have but very much doubt have them in a 16x32 foot pen to get them used to the farm. There legs are bending. Vet will be called in morning hope the young girl hangs on. DANG

Arnie

·
Registered
299 Posts
Bought 5 calves from a local farmer. 3 are doing real good 1 is down and will not get up when I lift her she will not even straighten out her legs. been down for about 24 hours now. I also got 1 steer that is not doing so well he just laid down today and doesn't want to move. The Female is laying on her side I can get her to lay up on her haunches but will soon roll to her side legs straight out. The steer is up on its haunches. Any advice please......

Arnie
Have you taken a temp on these calves? Are there any other symptoms - going off feed, isolating, heads hanging, snotty noses or goopy eyes, dull eyes? More information is needed, please.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you taken a temp on these calves? Are there any other symptoms - going off feed, isolating, heads hanging, snotty noses or goopy eyes, dull eyes? More information is needed, please.
They are both off feed unable to stand legs outstretched on one. The one that is laying on side eyes are dull, Actually thought she was dead this morning by evening she was at least on haunches with neck tuned in towards body. Did not take temp.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Got a stethoscope? Listen to the lungs, digestion etc, get a temp reading... you say they are both off feed at 3-4 months? whats their feed? Whats their manure look like? How sure are you that these calves received colostrum at birth? All this info makes it easier to talk to your vet over the phone and act quickly w/ the calves, especially if the vet is delayed for some reason.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts