Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most people don't get excited about bull calves..... but we do.. :rolleyes: .. We are picking up 2 tonight, from the farmer who's heifers we raise.....

We will band and raise the "guys" for beef..... We had 4 last year that we're sent in, and are WONDERFUL to eat..... Not a bad comment from anyone who purchased meat from us.....

So anyway I am excited about the bull calves..... I will try to post some pics when we get them tonight.... Just wanted to share my excitement....

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone....

TSYORK : We had the last ones for 17 months before butchering.... It was our first time with cattle at all.... So it was more of a learning experiance.... Now we have a total of 10 (including the new boys) of our own, and 16 heifers that we raise for a dairy farmer.....

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well off we go to pick up another bull calf..... :dance:

The other 2 we bought last week, are doing great..... No sign of scours, eatting well, very energetic..... :)

I tried to post pics, but have no idea how...... :shrug:

·
Jhn Boy ina D Trump world
2,407 Posts
Are they Holsteins or Holstein Crosses? Either way they are beautiful. I've got a couple coming in three weeks, and I can't wait.

·
woolgathering
2,601 Posts
jerzeygurl said:
photbucket.com

upload your picture there

post the link to the photo here
also you can paste the IMG here and the pic should apear here as well

shoulda mentioned that earlier

·
Registered
251 Posts
cow whisperer said:
I know most people don't get excited about bull calves..... but we do.. :rolleyes: .. We are picking up 2 tonight, from the farmer who's heifers we raise.....

We will band and raise the "guys" for beef.....
We get excited about all calves! There's something special about watching them grow.

Will you be keeping them for yourselves, or selling them for beef when the are ready to butcher?

We've got a yearling bull that we've got to decide something on soon. He's keeping us from putting our cows back with the bulls.

If we don't sell him soon as a breeder we'll probably put him in the freezer, or sell him to someone looking for beef.

With all the scares about store bought it's not a bad idea for all homesteaders to consider keep some of their own.

GR

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Any calf is something to get excited about. I love calves in any shape, manner, fashion, or form.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts