Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few more questions related to the kits I am now hand raising. They are all on solid foods. I keep alfalfa pellets and oats in the cage along with a bowl of water and hay. I have seen all of them eating the hay and pellets and oats and at least one of them drinking the water. I am giving them goat milk 3 times a day. I might lower it to 2 times a day as they really didn't seem very hungry at the middle feeding.

I did a search on cecal poop and really didn't get a lot of info. Since they are already eating solids and no one has runny poo, are they okay without the cecal poop? I just don't know enough about it.

I weighed them yesterday and took pictures. The smallest is 5.54 oz. The other 2 are 7.08 oz and 9.02 oz. About how old would that make the kits? I have no idea as they were born in the colony and I didn't even know they existed until the other rabbits were moved to cages. I also have pics of them on my blog next to a coffee mug to give some idea of their size. the address is www.slapdashfarm.blogspot.com.

Thank you,
Tiffany

·
Registered
611 Posts
I think they are fine without the cecal poops at this time. If none of them are producing it than there is nothing to worry about. The cecal poops are full of vitamins and minerals the rabbits need, i assume that the milk supplies that right now, therefore they do not need it and are not producing it OR you are not seeing this and they are doing it in the middle of the night, like most of them do....

No runny poops is a good sign.

Feel free to take the middle feeding away, once they start to eat they should be fine without as much milk. At 5 weeks you can wean them off of it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to figure out around how old they are. I don't have experience with knowing how big kits are at what age because I have always raised them in a colony. I wouldn't know we had kits until they popped out of the ground. I've tried searching and googling for approximate weights for different ages and haven't had any luck. I'm sure some of you have weighed the kits once in awhile. Maybe that would help give me an idea.

Tiffany

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
At a guess, I'd think they are about 3 weeks old. Polly's are two weeks old, eyes just opened a couple of days, ears still mostly flat against head, although they can raise them. Yours look older and the weights would support this.

If any of your adult rabbits are producing cecals that you can get, I'd mix a few in a small bowl of water and make it available to them. If not, I wouldn't worry too much... they may already have had access while still with their momma.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts