2 month old has a big ole tick on her eye

Discussion in 'Goats' started by yarddog4jc, Apr 11, 2006.

1. yarddog4jc

yarddog4jc Well-Known Member

Does anybody have any experience getting ticks off of eyelids? Yeah I saw something yesterday and got around to catching her today and right on the lower lid of her eye is a big ole tick. Any where else I would snatch it out, but on her eyelid, ugh!

2. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

I've heard you can take a stick match and burn it for a second, blow out the match and quickly apply the hot end of match to the tick's rear. It's suppose to make the tick release and backout.

3. Delinda

Delinda Well-Known Member Supporter

I would just grab it and pull it off.

4. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

get it off-- right away-- think the match thing works to get it all. I would get it off right away-
    Liz

5. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

No, don't use a match. That kills them, and they can leave nasty bits in the goat. I worked in a lab where we did parasitology, and I'll tell you what is the recommended method. Get some very fine tweezers, or two long fingernails, or something similarly flat that can be brought together firmly. The object is to grasp the tick just at the surface of the skin where it is embedded, without squeezing the body, which can expel disease-causing substances into your animal. Grasp the tick and pull gently but firmly. The object here is to keep the tension on while waiting for the tick to get tired and let go. That way, it comes out cleanly, which is the goal. Good luck!

6. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

So, did you get the tick out of the eye? I myself would be really scared to get it out of the eye. How did it go.

7. yarddog4jc

Yeah, the match ting kind of wigged me out, maybe on me or the kids. I'll go try it now. Will report in a bit. Thanks for the parasite lesson, I'll tell dw too. We usally just get the needle nose pliers and squish and pull.

8. yarddog4jc

O.K. got it out and I am pretty sure I got the head out too. Her eye was kind of red and where I pulled it out especially. I think I might get some erythmycin to put on. Thanks to all.

9. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

SO how is the goat today? Is everything fine? Please keep us informed. I would think keeping that ointment in the eye would be a great idea.
    Good Luck.

10. yarddog4jc

Thanks sweet goats. She is douing (better than my typing) fine today. Her eyelid is a little red where the thing came out but not like yesterday. I wish I had a digital camera. She is a little cutie. She is all white only it looks like she was rubbing in some orange clay. Her brother is solid white and soft and getting cuddley. She is like her mama, a little skittish. Well she is very skittish. the vet had to reach in and pull her out...I am not sure she ever got over that :mad: Thanks again.