2 mo old doeling problems

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TerriA, Jun 6, 2006.

1. TerriA

TerriA Well-Known Member

I have a bottle fed 2 month old purebred saanen doeling (Gertie) that has yet to take a drink out of the water bucket in her pen. I give her 2 20oz milk bottles a day and have had to give her 2 feedings of water via the bottle as well so she won't dehydrate. She is eating free choice brome hay (ran out of alfalfa and am getting some today/tomorrow) and a cup of grain feed per day. Is there any way to get her to drink from a bucket? I got Gertie when she was 2 wks old from a friend but had to separate her from the other 2 goats due to the older one almost killing her by butting her around. I got her when Bessie was 3-4 days old and it was too late to bond to Ellie.

I also have a second freshner doe (Ellie- bought a year ago as a milking doe who had lost her buckling at birth due to previous owners breeding her at 5 mo old) and her daughter (Bessie) in the pen next to Gertie. I put Bessie in with Gertie at night so I can milk out Ellie in the morning. I think it has helped some since Bessie has 'taught" Gertie how to eat the hay/grain.. but for some reason, the water bucket is only empty in the morning after Bessie has been in the pen.

Also (to try and condense this all into one thread), I would like to be able to get all 3 goats into an outdoor enclosure. Presently they are in an enclosed barn and my dh doesn't want to put up a fence for pasturing them outside even though there is a door leading outside where it would be possible. We had Ellie out there last year and she refused to go out there anyway so I guess he figures the area would just be an overgrown mess like last year. We have a dry lot area in a cattle loafing shed next to the other barn that has a hay manger, etc. So here are the 2 main problems with moving them..

Ellie still butts Gertie around BIG time (when Gertie follows Bessie in the morning back in with Ellie).. Gertie is still a bit smaller than Bessie and I don't think she can handle it. Do you think it would last only a little while? Gertie is so used to bottle feeding I don't know as if she would try and nurse off of Ellie...

I don't have a separate area to milk Ellie out there... and no where to separate the 2 doelings away from her at night. I need to milk Ellie so I have the milk for Gertie and I do have a milk customer who would buy all excess milk. I am planning on weaning Gertie at 3-4 months depending on how she is doing but I figure Ellie will automatically wean Bessie.. but if she won't, I think I will try teat tape the same time I am weaning Gertie...

So should I just keep them in the barn where they are till both doelings are weaned? I really could use those two pens for poultry/bunnies if at all possible. I am having a difficult time separating Bessie from Ellie due to her being too big for me to carry around anymore and she isn't the most "obedient" lil thing <G>- right now my dh has to carry her out of the big pen and put her in with Gertie so that gets done a bit later in the day than I would like.. most likely about 8 pm versus the 6 pm so I can get a late evening milking session from Ellie...

I am sorry there are so many questions in one thread! I would REALLY appreciate any suggestions at this time since I am so new at all this!!

THANK YOU!
    Terri

2. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Gertie is just being a kid I think. When you wean her...she will have to turn to the water bucket. Having her in with other goats showing her what to eat etc. I think is a good idea.

Gertie is finding out where she is on the pecking order. I think I would try running them all together. The other goats will smack her when they think she needs put in her place. As long as you keep a good eye on her..I think she will be okay. Next year...if there's a new kid..most likely it will take bottom place on the pecking order and Gertie will move up!

I'm not quite sure I understood your lot questions..but I will answer what I thought you were asking..okay?

A single goat probably does not want to be out away from the building to graze..they are herd mentality animals. If you turn three out there..they will probably enjoy the weeds. To start them out..feed them as usual in the morning and maybe turn them out and don't let them back in for a couple hours or so...if they can get all they want in the building..they may not be too aggressive at browsing.

Lots of goats are on dry lots with mangers. If this is an option .. I don't think it hurts anything. Hopefully more people will respond to your post. If I have confused you..lol..please ask again.

3. TerriA

TerriA Well-Known Member

Thank you! So I guess I shouldn't worry if Gertie isn't drinking water out of the bucket even in this heat? Should I give her some bottles of water to be sure she isn't dehydrated?

I talked to my dh... he is going to expand the pen out by the loafing shed and extend it enough so it isn't a totally "dry lot" but have access to a small pasture. There is a hay manger/feeder on one wall already. The pen is made with cattle panels on 2 sides that are about 4 feet high. Too short for those jumping kids (inside, they climb/jump the walls up to about 6 ft high). So my idea was to wire up another panel on top of what is already there and add an electric wire along to top. Am thinking it may be easier to move Ellie (the older doe) than the 2 kids so am considering putting in another pen next to the existing one and adding a hay manger/feeder in there so I can separate her from the doelings at night and milk her in the morning and late evening. She is docile enough to follow me as long as I have a can of grain to lead her in with (but am thinking the doelings will be a pain to keep out as I am shutting a gate behind me <G>).

The sooner I get those girls out of the bunny/poultry barn the better!

Terri