2 lb lamb. with problems.

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by stonewolf, Feb 26, 2005.

1. stonewolf

stonewolf Member

Hello I gotta make this quick.

Little girl, from trips, is so tiny she looks like a kitten, 2 lbs may be optimistic. I wrote all this out before in detail and got disconnected :(

She was born yesterday and she is spirited but weak, in the middle of the night she lay there open mouth and gasping so i gave her dextrose and formula mix with a syringe. She is lively this a.m and wanting food and to get up. Of course she is unable to stand.
    holding her up she finally had her first pee. I thought she had underdeveloped kidneys and would perish naturally.
    The worst problem is her legs front left crooked and a body twist to the right, with zero strength in her hind right.

I think it occurred in the womb and was being crushed by the others. THe weather in the last tri. was very cold. I think the ewe was concentrating on survival even in a closed barn.

I need advise about wether she might with gaining strength and wieght, be able to overcome her difficulties with her legs. She has such a spirit to live.

Would the best thing to do be euthanasia???

THanks will check back

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

It probably won't survive but they can surprise you. If its not in pain and you're willing to nurse it along give it a try. I wouldn't mix the dextrose (drench) and milk I'd use one or the other. On such a small lamb injecting subQ or IP would be tricky and you'd really want the doses small per site.

3. stonewolf

stonewolf Member

Thanks Ross, I was praying that you were around, and thanks for the warning of mixing.
    I am so torn, I dont think she will live, and although she is getting stronger, her problems are becoming more obvious. I phoned the vet of course, being a saturday, they are twice as expensive as usual. We have been discussing how to put the baby down. We are three women, none of who have the guts to smother or drown.

The vote so far is me- vet, for $80.00

the other two- smother or drown.

she is so small that it wouldnt take long they say.

they are reminding me of course that this is a tenuous business and since we are just new, every penny counts, they can't seem to justify the cost.

I cant just let her starve.

Any suggestions??? we even talked about saline in the syrynge, wouldnt that be painful??
    help

4. stonewolf

stonewolf Member

ok good news in a grim situation. I talked my partners into vet assist. Turned out she was only 3/4 of a pound and wouldnt have survived. I am glad that her suffering is over. stonewolf

5. FairviewFarm

FairviewFarm Well-Known Member

I can sympathize with your dilemma, options and being torn between deciding what to do. More times than I can't count I've been in your situation. In all but 2 by the time I'd made a decision nature had taken its course. That doesn't mean that I intentionally procrastinated, just that the lambs in question were worse off that I knew.

6. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

These things happen and all you can do is try - sometimes you lose, sometimes you win and the winning times make it worth while.

Many years ago I was given a lamb that was one of triplets. Had the shepherd not picked it up it would most certainly have died and he thought it would anyway. It was very tiny and it's head was twisted so far round and drooped on it's neck that the left ear dragged on the ground. It fed like a trojan and in every other respect was a bright healthy lamb. By the time it was a year old the head was able to be held up and had straightened a little. By the time it was a mature sheep it was pretty normal unless she was under stress such as at shearing. She died naturally at 13 after giving me something in the region of 8 sets of twin lambs all of which she reared successfully.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

7. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

I had a lamb similar to yours last year, a twin out of a very old ewe. She seemed normal, except 1/2 the size of her brother. Must have had internal problems because she nursed frequently, but died 2 weeks later without gaining much in size. We retired that ewe from breeding this year, just too old and she's given us lots of healthy lambs over the years. I'm sorry for your loss, been there and it's tough, no matter how hard you try, some you just can't save :waa: