Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 kinds of insulation, fiberglass and board. I thought the board went on first then the fiberglass blanket but now I've been reading about it and it appears irs one or the other.

I also attached a picture of my well house wall where it's gping. Ant advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Some of the gaps between the boards are wider than others. Foe those should I cut out the boards or go back to the store and buy wider fiberglass blanket? I didn't check when I was at the store if the blankets came in non standard widths

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
The roll in the picture is for 24" center framing. If you have center to center distances on studding greater than that, I would recommend adding to at least that minimum. Typical 2 x 4 framing is on 16" centers.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The foam/aluminum I've seen used under the exterior siding, with the shiny side out to reflect summer heat. No condensation worries that way, either. I believe I've seen 30" wide FG batts for those wider bays.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. It was below freezing for almost a week earlier this month and pipes were fine. I have a little electric heat radiator in there on low it seems to be wo

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
one other thing about the foam board, that is aluminum foil, will work like a fairday cage and if one likes listening to the radio, or use indoor antennas, including cell phones, reception may be poor,

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
The general rule is that you try to keep one vapor barrier, and that barrier towards the heated portion. That limits or eliminates the condensation of water on cold surfaces.

Like most rules, there can be exceptions. If you seal your fiberglass insulation in plastic, the vapor barrier is on both sides. I've done that in damp basement situations.

The "correct" way of using foam and fiberglass would be to strip the vapor barrier off the fiberglass to turn it into batts, and then cover it on the interior with the foam. In a dry climate, it might not make any difference. If the well house is normally COOLER than the surrounding air, you might reverse things and put the vapor barrier to the outside. Just using the fiberglass without a vapor barrier could work as well.

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
Me, since you have it, I would use both. The foil face in to help protect the paper. I would have a ceiling with insulation with no vapor barrier and the foam board under, vent the attic....James

1 - 13 of 13 Posts