2 hour old kid need help, nursing problems, refuses bottle.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tinetine'sgoat, Jan 18, 2007.

1. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

We went out to chores to find a new kid, just born, but momma wasn't anywhere around, she went off and left her. We dried her up, tried several times to put her near momma and she wouldn't let her nurse. Momma however was letting another does kids latch on. She has shown no interest in her own doe. We decided to leave them alone after "introducing them" and came back out to check about 1/2 hour later. Doe still cannot seem to latch on and mom will tolerate for a short period, she tries but does not grasp the concept. We have brought her in after another 1/2 hour of no nursing, I attempted to milk colostrum from mom, there was maybe a tablespoon. We have her on a heating pad, since she was begining to get cold. Now the doe is inside and refusing the bottle, she acts as though she cannot figure out how to suck. Any help would be appreciated. We have coffee brewing, but the lack of colostrum concerns me.

2. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Make sure mom is where no other kids can nurse on her. Give her warm water and grain - she'll make more colostrum. Get baby warm first, she won't nurse if she's chilled. Try the bottle again. Try milking mom again in a little bit. You don't need more than 2 oz for an initial feeding.

3. tinetine'sgoat

Thank you, sets my mind a little more at ease. Should we give her a coffee boost? Since it's been 3 hours since she was born. She butts at you now that she is getting warmer, but won't suck. We rubbed her bottom with a warm washcloth since momma didn't pay any attention to her and that is stimulating her more. She's a big girl, twice as big as our triplets are at a week old.

4. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

If she were mine, no, I'd reserve coffee for a kid that was more unresponsive. I'd give her about 1-2 oz of cow's milk and hold out for mom's colostrum in a couple more hours - there are plenty of instances when a doe's milk doesn't come right in - could this be your doe's deal? If baby won't suck the bottle, take a syringe without a needle and shoot a little warm milk into her to stimulate her appetite. She will survive if she gets the colostrum in a couple hours instead of immediately. It wouldn't hurt her to get about 1 CC of B complex.

5. tinetine'sgoat

Thank you, I got a little of the tablespoon or so I got from momma in her by putting it on my finger and kinda wiping it on her tongue. She would swallow it, just not try and suck it off. She is currently in a laundry basket with a heating pad, we are going to try and take her back out in a half hour or so to momma and see if we get some results with her there. Thanks for the input, we were told that her dam is a good mother and he had never had any problems. I'm not so sure since she paid almost no attention to her.

6. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

If it was a big baby, it may have hurt her coming out so she didn't want to be by it. Since she is letting another kid nurse, she does have the instint and you may not have been able to get milk because that other kid drank it.

I got some kids to suck by putting honey on my finger. Then I would put it on the bottle or help kid to latch onto mom.

Nothing personal but this is why I wait until April to have my kids. :shrug:

7. tinetine'sgoat

I just had that thought as I about fell on my bottom coming out of the barn a minute ago. We didn't breed these though and our dairy will be May kids. Much warmer!!
    She is back out with momma, we are going to go back out in 1/2 hour and see if there is any progress. Mom will let her wander around there, and is talking softly to her, the baby is butting at her and trying to get something. She will have the nipple on her nose and simply not latch on. It's like she just can't figure out that if she puts the nipple in her mouth she gets what she wants. The want is there, but something just isn't connecting. :shrug:

8. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I just keep working with babies like that. When they butt and act hungry, I give them the bottle. I put the nipple in the kid's mouth and rub the face or tickle the tail. I've even knelt over the kid so it thinks I'm it's mom. Good luck with the baby.

9. tinetine'sgoat

We went back out to check and mom was one side, and dd was standing on the other side of the pen. Doe was getting chilled so we brought her back in. She is on a heating pad, has had some nutri paste to try and get her some energy. Within a minute of hitting the heating pad she was sound asleep. I'm gonna let her rest with the nutri paste doing her some good and try to feed her again in an hour or so. I'm not sure if she will make it or not, she will swallow milk that is put in her mouth, but makes no effort to suck a bottle on her own. May end up tubing her.

10. tinetine'sgoat

YEAH!! Nutri paste success, we were getting ready to move her to her "bedroom" for the night and she started perkin' up and butting at me. I got her some fresh warm milk, messed with her a little bit and it just kinda clicked with her. She went goofy on the bottle and downed about 4 oz. She is now in her little bed with the heating pad on low with a towel over it and I'm gonna get back up at 2:00 and feed her a few more ounces. I hope this is the end of the troubles! Thanks for all the help!

11. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

But did she get enough colostrum?

12. tinetine'sgoat

I am going to go out this morning and try and get more off of momma. She ate at 2:30, 5:30 and is perking up. She will suck now, but is not very good at opening her mouth to put the nipple in. She seems to think that all you have to do is butt it. We have to put it in the side and move it around to the front. Once it is in place she does fine.

13. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I would try to see if she will nurse off mom. That would be the best.
    How is she doing? It sounds like you did a great job.

14. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

It does sound like with each step she is progressing. Hope she continues to get the hang of it!

15. christij

christij Well-Known Member

I understand what you are going through - I was there earlier this week. It's amazing what a little of mamma's milk can do for them. Hope as is going well.

16. Jim S.

Jim S. Well-Known Member

FWIW, if you have does who lose kids or real productive dairy does, milk them out of colostrum and freeze it in an ice cube tray. Comes in real handy at times like this. Just don't thaw it in the microwave.

Good luck getting the kid to suck mama. I never have had any luck doing it with these slow kids. They become bottle babies, which is why I cull strictly on maternal abilities from the first kid on.

I know others all have sure-fire ways to do it, but none of them seem to work for me once the kid has refused to show interest initially. :shrug:

17. tinetine'sgoat

She is a go getter, big and fiesty hopefully she will turn around for us. She just can't seem to regulate her temp worth a darn. Thanks for all the input, it really is appreciated.

18. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I know that if I'm hungry I'm cold but if my belly is full I don't have any trouble making heat.

19. pokyone42

pokyone42 Well-Known Member

Near Bath NY.. dumb name for a town, huh?
    We had a 4 pound kid born last year, that was really hard to get going... (in fact, we thought she was dead when she was born, cuz she was so tiny and did not move for a few seconds.....) she would NOT nurse, so we kept trying to get her to nurse,,,, then tried to bottlefeed her..... etc.. after we brought her into the house, an hour or so later, (it was only about 8 degrees out...) she finally sorta got the hang of a bottle...gave her colostrum...... however, for the first 8 weeks, she had to butt me in the chin first, before she would take her bottle.. (she thought, anyways. lol)

OH GOODY! ..... lol...... for MONTHS, the only way this doe kid would take a bottle, was if I leaned on her with my chin, and then she butted me in the chin, making my teeth rattle.LOL! She is now a pregnant baby moose, who is totally spoiled! (Our "Tiny Carla!") She did just fine after such a slow start, and is due to freshen in March.. (with kids that we hope, are smarter than SHE was. lol) Tho she is very cute and sweet.............good LUCK!

20. dap

dap lilsparrow

That is a great story! Thanks for sharing. :p lol