Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO I tilled up our usual garden the other day getting ready for our garden (I do not expect this winter to last long down in Texas this year). Well my wife got the wild hair to make it even bigger. When she went to fill up the tank yesterday she put two cycle gas in and couldn't figure out why it was not working. I have had to work yesterday and today but if I drain the fuel and fill up with the correct gas will I need to do anything else. I assume it will not hurt too much if I can get some of the correct gas in there and run that through real well. Any advice and feedback would be appreciated.

P.S. I am starting to see a pattern here, my wife once filled her SUV up with diesel:(

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
Might pull the plug and clean it if it doesn't start right off....2 cycle has a tendency to foul 4 cycle plugs. But other than that, no, shouldn't need anything.

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
976 Posts
I think it should crank and run on the 2-cycle mixture . . . but smoke a little.

2-cycle mixture just has a little oil in it. It's still VERY flammable.

Reactions: arnie

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys. So my wife was able to drain the fuel, fill it with the CORRECT fuel. She was then able to get it cranked up and going again. I will inspect the plug when I get home. That's a great idea that I had not thought of.

·
Super Moderator
9,200 Posts
I run saw gas in my 4 stroke stuff all the time , at 50:1 it isn't an issue , a thicker mix than that can be but not normally if it is already hot. unless your really thick on the mix.

is it possible the 2 stroke gas was old , stale , bad

I have see some added difficulty on very cold starts but if you can till it isn't cold.

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
976 Posts
Thank you guys. So my wife was able to drain the fuel, fill it with the CORRECT fuel. She was then able to get it cranked up and going again.
Whoa!!!

The news here is that Triple J Farm has a wife who can drain gas out of a tiller and crank one!

Next you will be telling us that your wife actually operates the tiller.

This is a 'Twilight Zone' story line to me. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts