2 channel monitor

Discussion in 'Goats' started by moosemaniac, Jan 8, 2005.

1. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Yesterday, I bought a 2 channel wireless intercom at Radio Shack to use as a "baby" monitor in the goat shed. It was on sale, $39.99 marked down to $29.99. It works great! I can hear everything, even a goat peeing. :eek:

I set it up in the bedroom so I could hear anything that might happen during the night. I kept the volume low enough that DH and I could sleep, but I'm pretty sure unusual sounds would wake me. Well....at 3:30 this morning, one of the roosters in the chicken coop which is attached to the goat shed, separated by a wall, decided it was wake up time! We may have a "rooster fest" this weekend. Anyone hungry?

Ruth

2. pinemead

pinemead Well-Known Member

I've been looking for something like this (no roosters in the barn :D ). How far is your barn from the house?

3. GoatTalkr9

GoatTalkr9 Well-Known Member

We have one too and love it! I bought one 4 months into the last kidding,and haven't turned it off since,rofl. The babies from that kidding are now 7 months old! I got to where I was used to listening to it,and it came in SO handy to know what the goats were up to ,and if anyone was in trouble out there. Mine works up to 500 feet,and you can hear good enough to know who is sleeping soundly and who is feeling rough. :)
    Barb

4. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I have an intercom that I am going to put out in our barn too for breeding time. I have a radio out there also, but it was getting dusty so I put a plastic bag around the unit itself and secured it with a twist tie and it keeps the dust off. I am going to do this to my intercom unit also. It doesn't interfere with the sound at all just protects the unit and keeps it clean.

5. moosemaniac

The unit I bought goes up the 300 feet which was enough for us. I've seen others that cost a little more that go farther. I just called Radio Shack and asked them what they had. They were a great help.

Ruth

6. oldmcdonaldsfarm

oldmcdonaldsfarm Well-Known Member

What is the difference between this and a baby monitor?? Does it work both ways? I have a baby monitor that works great but I'm thinking I might need some kind of intercom during kidding season so that anyone in the house can talk to me in the barn.
    K

7. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

Funny someone should bring up the intercom as I have one from Radio Shack. I am technically disadvantaged! Last night DH shoveled the path out to the barn for me. When I was just about done with the critters, I found that I couldn't open the door....he had "accidently" locked the door on the outside and went back to the house. I tried to contact him through that intercom. "Help I'm locked in the barn". No matter what combination on the buttons I used, I couldn't get his attention. So I went out the back of the barn, climbed over the gate and into the depths of the snow to get back to the house. Thought after I'd been out there twice as long as usual he just might remember that I hadn't come back. Well, needless to say, I WAS upset. It seems as though someone (probably me) turned the intercom down in the house. :eek:

Nappy

8. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

I just bid on a baby moniter for $2 :D . It is older but for right now I am positive it will work fine. I also am going to get some rechargable batterys for it. To bad I don't have it in time for ramsey :( . Oh well..

MotherClucker

9. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Our monitors use the electrical lines to do their transmitting/receiving so even at the gate (1927') people can talk like their in the next room. The system can have as many set as you want so we have one in the barn, at the gate, mid pasture, livingroom and game room. They can either be push to talk or always sending but there is an alert that can be used even though one set is constantly sending sound.

10. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Lt Wombat are those exspensive?? that is what I would like to have. what I have now is radio shack that works off the ph lines works good though except I would like to have it sent up in all my building and what I have is just one at the kidding pen with one in the house. Rooster used to get us up too thru the darn thing until the rooster disapeared.

11. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

Ours from Radio Shack operates off the electrical lines as it is plugged in both in the house and barn. You can have several units located in different sites but if you have only one receiver in the house (at least with ours) it will only lock into one at a time. And, yes, the rooster thing...crowing at 3 in the morning when we are sleeping is not a good thing! When you are talking on the phone, these noises come through loud and clear. That's why the intercom gets turned down.

Nappy

12. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

We have the Radio Shack ones described by Nappy. 3 units for $35 on sale

13. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Wow will have to go check those out.

14. moosemaniac

I've never owned a baby monitor, so I don't know if they work the same. The monitor can be used to talk back and forth. I can even put on another unit and switch talking to unit a or b. What's nice is I can lock the monitor in the goat shed so that I can hear them all the time. Do you want to know how peaceful it is falling asleep to the sound of goats munching hay?

Ruth

15. oldmcdonaldsfarm

oldmcdonaldsfarm Well-Known Member

I'm going to check out our Radio Shack when I go into town tomorrow and see if they carry them.

Your goats munch hay at night!! ;) What about all the SNORING!! :haha: Some nights I have to turn the monitor off because they are worse than my husband!!
    K

16. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife Well-Known Member

I saw wireless security cameras at sams...they feed back to a small monitor and they were really not that expensive, from what I recall...contemplating getting one.

or maybe just letting the two children who keep begging me to let them sleep in the barn actually do so :haha: