Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two weeks ago, we were given our 30 day notice to move from our rental (went to month-to-month lease after first year). We just can't afford it any more--fair market rent for our area for a 3 BR for the rural area we live in is $1065! We had expected to be able to go to West Virginia as the papers we looked at had rentals in the size we need (3 bedrooms) and VERY affordable. We pay nearly $1000 plus utilities here! :eek:

2 /1/2 weeks to go and...no 3 bedrooms available in the areas we were looking! All of the sudden, when we have some money saved up, there is nothing around. DH is at his wits end and pacing quietly, mad at himself :shrug: . We are trying to stay within 6 hours of where we live now because his parents are getting older and we have the last grandbaby they want to spend time with. I don't know what else to do--I'm out of answers and don't know what to say or do. His parents only have a small two bedroom, so staying with them is out of the question. I have no family around here, but my parents are in the Florida Panhandle and have made it clear that we cannot stay with them (guess they had enough when my brother, his wife and three girls had to stay with them for a few months :rolleyes: ). The closest shelter for families is 2 hours away, which means the DH would have to give up his job and that defeats the whole purpose. UGH! I'm open for any and all suggestions...

6,651 Posts
stay where you are untill the sherrif comes to remove you. get things packed, and ready to go. that will give you sometime to keep looking, and you might even find something. After that, sleep in his parents living room, or garage, or anywhere to keep the snow off your heads for starters.

You ony have one child? You dont need three bedrooms. Even if you have more than one. The kids can sleep on the floor in anyroom. You 2 can sleep on the floor if money is tight enough.

Find jobs. anyjobs. One of you can work 100 per week while the other one babysits. Hard work and determination gets many people through many hardships

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Make sure you pay all of the rent you owe the person you are renting from, before you move.

bumpus

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
RJ,

Older trailers are often cheap (I've got one I'm selling for $1800, but it's in Wisconsin, too far away for you), also consider foreclosures - someone might be willing to rent a property so they won't lose it altogether. Some folks abandon trailers in mobile home parks - again, bank might prefer renting it out so they can generate some income.

Why can't you go to WV? Too far from dh's folks, or the job?

Rent a storage unit to hold all your stuff. Float around and stay with friends a week at a time while you look. As Michigan Farmer says, don't think in terms of a 3 bedroom place - rent a 1-2 bedroom. Are you looking at buying or renting? Can you do housesitting for awhile?

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
My suggestion for an emergency measure is to get a smaller place for awhile, have the girls sleep in a bedroom and put the boys on a fold out sofa in the living room. That way you could have only two bedrooms and get by. That would certainly be preferable to a shelter situation, and you'd be saving some money, too.

If you honestly can't afford to live where you are (area) then I think you'd better reconsider having to be that close to family. Although a 6 hour "circle" around the grandparent's seems like there would be something available that would work out for you. I mean, if WV doesn't work, why not a place in PA or upstate NY, etc, that might be cheaper yet be within that 6 hours of the folks?

BTW, if you can afford $1000 a month rent you should be buying instead! You could own your own place for that every month. :)

Jennifer

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
I am from West Virginia.

What part of West Virginia do you want to live in ?

bumpus

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
How many family members are in your household? The first thing I'd do is figure out how to fit everyone into a studio or one bedroom place. If that meant no furniture or beds, so be it. Sleeping mats on the floor, sitting on mats or floor pillows - all of that can actually be pretty comfortable and a huge cost saver.

If your are in a period of life where even just affording housing is difficult, I'd be very careful about owning or buying anything but the most basic and functional things for your home. You can live with one dish per person, one plastic cup each, no tables desks or dressers. Strip out anything that isn't essential and that takes up physical space that you have to "buy" with added rental cost each month.

I'd seriously just be using cardboard boxes instead of a dresser - and I wouldn't own many clothes so I could decrease the storage space. I wouldn't even spring for plastic rubbermaid containers to use as a dresser or table until I was sure I could comfortably handle my monthly rent and other living expenses.

Just for background, we can afford housing & furniture, etc. But a few years ago I really started to look at items in our household to see which ones "earned their keep" and which just took up space. The only reason we have living room chairs now is because they were given to us and they are not worn out yet - but when they are I'm just going to use my $11 Walmart yoga ball for living room seating (it's my desk chair now).

We gave up on mattresses and bed frames almost 10 years ago and our beds are futon mattresses on the floor. Very comfortable, but when these eventually wear out (and get put on the porch as dog beds) we are going to buy gym mats and sleep on those. That way our good sized bedroom can be used for more than just housing bedding and sleeping. I don't ever need to build an extra room on to the house - I need beds that can be tucked away during the day. :)

Use that kind of thinking with your housing and you can probably cut your space needs down to less than half of what you think you need. You save a money every month on rent that way and save money on buying anything but the essentials. You also have a whole lot less stuff to dust and clean. And it really feels good to live in a small, efficient home with just the basics.

I wish you the best, and also hope you heed Bumpus's advice. As you sort through your current difficulties, keep your word, honor and good name and make good on your debts to others.

Lynda

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I don't know your needs for the three bedrooms, (how many kids, what ages, etc.) but can you consider sticking two kids with bunk beds in one room? even if they are teens and growing? If you get a large enough place, you might be able to do a little "out of the box" type thinking about how space is used.

Just an idea to get you going. Also, go through a company who places you, even for a rural area, they may have listings and be able to help you be a bit creative in this area.

Good luck!

PS. At least you can consider a 2-bedroom as a TEMPORARY landing spot.

BTW, the prices you state in your message sound really reasonable to me. EDITED TO ADD: Price though is very relative. Since I used to live in a 350 sq ft loft in Manhattan 8 years ago and that was a steal at $1300, to me $1000 for a 3 bedroom anything is cheap. So, don't listen to me regarding prices. :rolleyes:

Pat

·
Premium Member
9,544 Posts
If at all possible, do NOT go past that 30 days notice as you have been told. If you do, you will be liable for all the court costs and attorney fees of the landlord. The 30 notice gives you the opportunity to vacate without incurring any costs. After that, any thing you have saved up with be eaten away by the court system; or you will have a Judgment placed against you and never will find someone who will be willing to rent to you, since your credit will be bad. To a lender, a Judgment is worst than a bankruptcy. A Judgment can also be collected on by any means allowable by your state. In most states that means wages being garnished and/or any assets you have being taken (such as a paid off vehicles, furniture, bank account seizure, etc.).

Not trying to scare you or add to your stress, but you need to know that if someone says "let them force you out" that's REALLY bad advice. Of course it would be better than living in your car or on the streets, but try to avoid it.

My heart sure goes out to you, but at this point, you have to do what you have do. There are hundreds and hundreds of nice rental properties all over the country within your price range.

If it means going to another area and living where your husband can find work, then that's what you have to do. DH's parents will have to live with that unless they are willing to either allow you to live with them, until you find a place, or help you financially to stay within the area. At this point, you have to take care of yourselves and your children before you can take care of them anyway.

I sure understand the sacrifice your enduring right now, but you have to do whatever you have to do to stay safe together as a family and if that means everyone living in a one bedroom apartment with only basic furniture, then that's the sacrifice you have to make. It sure is difficult and heart tearing to go down from what you have, but it's not permanent and you just have to give in and get through this time right now.

Have you discussed your situation with the landlord to see if perhaps they would be willing to give you some extra time to find a place?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Have you tried looking on craigslist for an apt/house when we moved we couldnt find anything in our budget but we went on there and had plenty to chose from. We ended up renting a 2 bd townhouse for the year for only 500 and we are right out side of Pittsburgh

Check it out you can look diffrent areas craigslist.org

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Just adding that by the sound of it, there are plenty of 2br's available for you now. Why not get into one ASAP? This is not YET a desperate situation from what I understand. 2.5 weeks is a good amount of time to look at and get an apartment. Especially if there are a lot on the market, they will be glad to see a renter coming! So, you can move to WV like you wanted to, it's just not "ideal" living quarters.

Pat

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Another thing - I'd start selling off household belongings right and left to get cash. If you have a TV stand, time to put the TV on the floor while you think about selling it. (And you probably don't need me to tell you that I sure hope you don't have cable TV to pay for!) If you have a kitchen or dining room table and chairs, sell those and use a card table or picnic in the living room on a blanket.

Don't even consider putting anything into storage. You don't need to take on any monthly payments for any reason.

If you have a bunch of kid toys, you need to rethink your family values about possessions for the next few years and transition them from wanting "abundance" to loving a special doll and a well worn deck of cards.

Just my $0.02 soapbox stuff here, not specifically about you at all: I really believe that many families get sucked into "owing their souls to the company store" by falling into the American habit of consumption. So many people think they need a dishwasher, nice curtains, new towels when ones get frayed, and all kind of other things. Companies want you to buy and buy and buy and will never care if that means you trade your whole life to struggling to earn money to pay bills for things that you often can easily do without. I honestly think it's getting worse as it's getting easier for people to take on housing and credit card debt.

I hope this difficult time in your life gives you a way to cut back expenses more than you ever dreamed possible, and then leads you to a life of financial security. Maybe not the life they show on TV where financial security means lots of money and spending, but more like the one we have where it means living well, simply, and free from having to scramble to make money to buy the things people keep trying to sell us. Too many people in this world are headed for a live of financial slavery, and I hope this horrible time you are sorting through now lets you break free of that. "Cutting back" hard like you have to do now may feel harsh, but in the long run it might be the best stepping stone to your long term security. I hope that makes things a bit easier for you.

Lynda

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I suggest that you get a storage unit for your things and temporarily move in with your in-laws while you keep looking. Its not ideal but better then a motel or a shelter. If your considering a rental complex then see if you can rent a 2 bedroom now and move up to a 3 bedroom when one comes available.

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
Jennifer L. said:
BTW, if you can afford $1000 a month rent you should be buying instead! You could own your own place for that every month. :)

Jennifer

I ditto that! I hate seeing people pay that much in rent, when it can be going towards something that will be YOURS!

I can relate somewhat with your situation. Two years ago we were renting a house from DH's brother. Who suddenly decided he wanted to move back into the house. We had three months. Granted which is alot more doable than two and a half weeks! We also could not afford to live in Massachusetts anymore, considering a two bedroom was $1600 a month. Plus utilities and the cost of living. We were also strapped with needing a place that was also handicapped accessible for DD.

At that point we decided to pack up and move to TN, where we liked the area. We were able to find a 10 yr old double wide, three bedrooms on a 1/2 acre of land for $50,000 and have a mortgage payment of $250 a month. Moving away far from family is HARD to do, but sometimes your given few choices and have to do the best with what you have.

Thoughts and prayers that everything works out for you!

·
Registered
826 Posts
There are older people who need care to stay at home that are just above the threshold for medicare but fall short of being able to afford it themselves. This is a bad situation to be in. If your records are clean you could advertise that you and/or spouse could provide care in exchange for a full legal basement or something.

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
ruby_jane said:
About two weeks ago, we were given our 30 day notice to move from our rental (went to month-to-month lease after first year). We just can't afford it any more--fair market rent for our area for a 3 BR for the rural area we live in is $1065! We had expected to be able to go to West Virginia as the papers we looked at had rentals in the size we need (3 bedrooms) and VERY affordable. We pay nearly $1000 plus utilities here! :eek:

2 /1/2 weeks to go and...no 3 bedrooms available in the areas we were looking! All of the sudden, when we have some money saved up, there is nothing around. DH is at his wits end and pacing quietly, mad at himself :shrug: . We are trying to stay within 6 hours of where we live now because his parents are getting older and we have the last grandbaby they want to spend time with. I don't know what else to do--I'm out of answers and don't know what to say or do. His parents only have a small two bedroom, so staying with them is out of the question. I have no family around here, but my parents are in the Florida Panhandle and have made it clear that we cannot stay with them (guess they had enough when my brother, his wife and three girls had to stay with them for a few months :rolleyes: ). The closest shelter for families is 2 hours away, which means the DH would have to give up his job and that defeats the whole purpose. UGH! I'm open for any and all suggestions...
First of all, you don't need a three bedroom - you only think you do. Children are perfectly capable of sleeping on the sofa, on an air matress on the floor and in a sleeping bag. Therefore, you can go with a two bedroom or even a one bedroom if you can find one.

If you get a two-bedroom then you can have the kids sleep in the living room and rent out the other bedroom to someone who is in a similar situation to yours. That way you have someone helping with the rent payment. I would rent to an older woman if I could find one for obvious reasons.

Depending on your job and transportation issues, you also might consider moving farther out of town. I find that the farther out you go the lower the rent.

donsgal

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
KindredSpirit said:
I don't know what area you live in, but are there any low to moderate income housing cooperatives in your area?
No, there aren't too many. What low income housing there is has a one to two year waiting list for 3 BR, as they won't rent to a family of six for anyhting smaller than that.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.