1st Prolapse--Need Advice

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by glenberryfarm, Feb 22, 2005.

1. glenberryfarm

glenberryfarm Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone,
    I would really appreciate some advice about prolapse. I have a ewe, her second lambing that has prolapsed. (She didn't have problems last year). She is due any day now. For 2 days she has had a slight mucousy discharge. At first, from a far I thought she was delivering. The prolapse really bulges out when she lays down, but does eventually go back in when she stands. Should I run out and get a harness or do I leave it alone? I have not dealt with before so I really need some direction.
    Thank you for all of your help, even when you didn't know you were helping. I have been reading posts for months now. This is a great forum.
    Faye

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

If you have access to a ewe spoon or a harness then it won't hurt to use it. Most allow a lamb to birth past it but understand there's always some risk. Serious prolapses are stitched and have to be cut off to birth. Generally prolapses get worse and worse as tissue damage gets worse and worse. You will have to watch she doesn't prolapse her uterus when she finally lambs! Lots of therories about prolapses, tail dock too short is a major problem, too fat, too thin, both mean poor muscle tone some even say its genetic but I'll bet those are few and far between. The ewe and her offspring may all have problems but they likely simply doesn't match the managment, so in a round about way that line will always be a mismatch and yeah its the genetics that "cause" the problem. Managed a little differently and they wouldn't. Could be she has large lambs, that are pushing to find room, you might be able to adjust your feeding to avoid the problem, using higher quality lower volume feed.

3. glenberryfarm

Thanks for the advice. I did put a harness on her and she has been doing fine. For days now, she has looked like she is going to pop at any minute. I don't need any more grey hairs!
    Faye

4. Ross

Me either but at least they are wel earned

5. Debbie at Bount

Debbie at Bount Well-Known Member

I have had ewes do that with no problem. Fortunately, I never had the whole thing come out. I have found that contolliing the hay help at the end. I generally allowed free choice hay and I held it back a dab on this ewe and she didn't prolapse. I never could figure out that harness. Good luck

6. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

I would bet that if you put the spoon in her or harness her she will deliver soon. The cervix needs to be in place or she won't dilate.

I had my first cervical prolapse last year with a ewe who was heavy with triplets. It was an out when she was down in when she was up type also. Two days after I put the spoon up in her she lambed with out a hitch. Those babies slid right under it.

7. glenberryfarm

No babies yet. The harness is working well. She still has a slight discharge. This morning she looked red and puffy---now she is back to just pink. We have a winter storm coming tonite-so maybe that will do it. Boy, i sure am spending a lot of time looking at back ends these days. :no:

8. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

I'm dealing with my first ewe prolaps as well this year. Like you, she lambed last year (single) with no problem. I've raised sheep for 10 years and have never had one prolaps! For awhile today, I thought I was loosing the battle, she kept pushing so hard that she pushed the prolaps retainer out repeatedly. Cervix is partly exposed when she does this. Tying to her wool just was not getting it tight enough. I finally rigged up bailing twine over the back of her neck, down between her front legs and back to the retainer. Then I tied the 2 strings together near her tail, over the top of her back. It's been about 4 hours now, spoon is still in.

A vet, and a friend of mine who is a vet tech both said to use sugar on all the tissue that's sticking out... they said sugar is a good antiseptic, and it helps reduce the swelling. So, I cleaned everything with iodine wash, put on the sugar and pushed everything back in.... she pushes just as hard back at me. Trying to hold this jumpy young cheviot and put the retainer in by myself (DH out of town on business, bad timing!) has been tough! Good thing we made 3 lambing jugs this year because the other 2 already have new moms and lambs in them. I tried letting her out for a bit to walk around, but she found a slope to lay uphill on and started really pushing again. So she's confined on maternity bedrest for the duration!

She does have milk, but her udder is still a bit soft, and her cervix is definately not dialated yet. I also have increased her grain and severely reduced her hay. I don't think there's anyway with all the struggling I've done with her today that things stayed sterile so I may give her some SMZ's to reduce the risk of infection. (vet phone consultation also recommended this)

Now the question is, when will those lambs come???????

9. Ross

She sounds like a candidate for stitching eventually. When will she lamb? Sooner rather than later but probably not as soon as you'd like.

10. kabri

Well, I've never stitched anything before! In our area, there are NO mobile vets that will work on sheep. You are right, I hope she lambs soon! I sure hate to leave her to go to work tomorrow!

11. glenberryfarm

The harness I made is holding very well. I used 1'' wide webbing about 15 ft long for a babydoll southdown. Place the midpoint of the rope at the base of her neck. The ends of the rope are crossed over and passed between her front legs. Bring the ends under her armpits, over the ribs, and crossed over her back. The ends then are passed between her udder and hind legs and carried back up and crossed over in the vulva area. Tie the ends to the crossed section on her back.
    It sounds complicated, but it isn't really. I hope this helps
    Faye

12. kabri

Hi Faye, thanks for the advice. My rigging with baling twine is still holding well, I was dreading going to the barn this morning, but the retainer is still in place. My ewe is breathing kind of hard, but she's eating eagerly and it's kind of warm her today. I just hope she lambs soon!!!!!!

13. kabri

Faye, did your ewe lamb yet? Mine did, healthy twins. The first one came right past the prolaps device, but then the lamb was in danger of getting tangled in the twine when trying to nurse so I removed the whole thing. 2nd lamb came and all her "parts" stayed put, afterbirth passed too! So, after 8 days with a prolaps, she's done and we can relax a bit. 2 girl lambs, they sure are active!

14. glenberryfarm

Nothing yet. My dates must be screwy. She is bagging up and hanging low. I still have the harness on her. The prolapse keeps trying to peek out, but is staying put. She is just worrying me to death.
    I'll let you know when she goes.
    Thanks so much for the advice and good news!

15. glenberryfarm

Well it has been forever and a day, but she finally did it! Tonite she had twins past the ewe spoon. No prolapse, no problems. I can finally get some sleep.
    Thanks everyone!

16. kabri

That's great, I'm glad everything worked out well for your ewe and new babies
    ! Our ewe is ok after her ordeal, but she's loosing her fleece now, so we know how really sick she was and how lucky we are that she pulled thru.