1st farmers market

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by randy in central missouri, May 21, 2005.

1. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

hi
    i went to my first farmers market today. i was really suprised at the amount of people buying and the different things people had for sale.

randy

2. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Randy, were you selling or just looking? I heard our market today was full of people strolling around, but not buying. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to abandon my plans for selling produce this year. My dern goats got into the garden a few days ago and really did a lot of damage :waa: . Plus, I'm working a lot of mandatory OT at the hospital.

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

As noted in other threads, if you are going to buy fresh, locally produced double check the source. Some folks just go to a produce wholesaler and buy for resale. If in doubt, ask.

Ken Scharabok

4. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

Randy, which farmers market did you go to? There is a prety good one in Silex and another in Columbia.

5. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

I can tell you why there are no customers at our local farmers markets. The vendors prices are waaaaayyyyyyy too high! It's become an absolute joke in the community.

Organic this, organic that. Better quality? Maybe, maybe not. Bottom line in a business like this, you have to be competitive on price. How these people can expect to charge a large premium over the local grocery store is beyond me.

Then they spend all weekend sitting around bitching to each other about why there are no customers!

Granted, there is a VERY SMALL portion of the general population that have drank the organic koo-laid, and will pay a large premium for farmers market "organic" stuff.

However, the vast majority of the population would like to "buy locally", and are willing to pay a small premium for the supposedly better product, but refuse to get raped doing it.

Then the vendors spend all weekend sitting around bitching to each other about why there are no customers! Hello!!!!

Wayne

6. Yes be very careful. Know what's in season in your area. My wife once brought home a big watermelon thinking it was home grown and this was in early June. Watermelons don't get ripe around here until July! I flipped it over and found a sticker and told her this melon was imported from California.

7. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

It was in columbia.

i was most surprised about the price of strawberries. $4 a quart. Mexican strawberries can be had cheap now if you know someone. Restaurants are paying $8 a flat, which is $1.33 a quart.

randy