Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Zone 7B
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - 1998 ford contour 2L 4 cyl not dual overhead cams.....

I thought it was the belt (serpentine) that was squealing when you started it in early morning.... damp/wet situations mostly.....

Now its doing it EVERY TIME you start the car (hot/cold/raining/sunny).... it stops within a minute or two --- While it is squealing, I have some difficulty in keeping it running... (ie: I step on the gas and it wants to die (sometimes it does kill it) instead of increasing the power.... and then once it stops squealing, the power problem disappears..)

So I went out and bought a serpentine belt but the OLD belt doesn't look hardly worn at all.... no cracks, still good traction in the grooves.....

Leads me to believe it could be the idler pulley then...... when I listen with the hood up, it seems to be making the racket....

So I will pick up an Idler pully today..... what else might it be? Any suggestions before I drop another $30 into the part I might not need....

Any more suggestions?? TIA!

·
Premium Member
18,102 Posts
I'm going with the idler pulley. In hindsight, you could have squirted some WD-40 on the pulley to see if it temporarily stopped the squealing. Might have saved you the purchase of the belt.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
Take the belt off and turn each driven pulley by hand to determine which one is having trouble rotating. Appears that you have a bearing going out or a power steering pump problem. A very weak battery will cause the alternator pulley to create a squeal even with the tension correct.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
My son had a Mercury Mystique, which is the same as the contour and it had the 2.0 liter. His would make a heck of a rattling just about all the time. I replaced that idle and their cheaply made, it cleared up the problem.

Bobg

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
I ASSume this belt is tensioned by what you are clling the idler pulley. In most cases there is spring tension which tightens the belt to the correct tension as the belt wears, is this what you have? If so then be sure to replace the whole tensioner assembly and not just the pulley if the problem is lack of tension. If the problem is just the noisey bearings in the pulley then just replace the pulley.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts