1997 OLDS Bravada :

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by dogo, Jul 3, 2006.

1. dogo

dogo Well-Known Member

I would like your guys opinion. A friend of mine has a Bravado 63,000 mile and it seems to be making a humming noise while driving straight, when turning to the right it seems to disappear. Now the Bravado has what you call "Smart Track" Its suppose to engage 4-wheel drive when it needs it . No manual to engage the 4- wheel drive, it does it on its on . Anyway someone said it was the hub bearing making the noise. I was also told it seem to vibrate on the right wheel shimmy a little. Now this I don't know. I haven't driven the car as of yet. I just thought I would pass this by you guys and maybe hopefully some of you have ran into this problem. I just can't see the bearing being the problem with 63,000 mile. Maybe the steering knuckle or drive axle?. So guys I will get the car this afternoon, I'm a retired mechanic, but that was along time ago. In 93 and this ole arthritis has took its toll on me. I have 2 replacement knees and 3 deteriorating dis in my back and hands that sometimes want close. But I do try to help people who are in trouble or need . And the next day or so it seems to catch up with me. Anyway friend if you have an idea where to start looking . I sure would be grateful.....

2. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

Well the smart track system is actually all wheel drive, powers all wheels all the time, with a center differential. But that's not the issue here.

It could very well be the hub bearings. One of the problems seen on these trucks. 63k miles is a little early but not out of the question. You replace the whole hub assembly, it's not hard to do, I think the part is in the $100 range.