Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yeah but then I'd worry about denting it or scratching the paint. :)

Reactions: Cabin Fever

·
Premium Member
17,943 Posts
I hear you. And besides, it doesn't have 4WD. :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Jeez, when did a 35 year old 2 wheel drive Ford become worth 10,000?

Maybe a super clean 70's or 60's, but that is a bottom of the barrel rig.

I am biased though. Never did like that style, unless it was a 4x4 Supercab.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an '04 supercab, 5.4 V8, 175K miles. Runs great but different motor than what you're looking at. It's my farm truck and reliable. Paid just under $5K a year and a half ago. Previous owner wasn't great at maintenance so I wouldn't take it across country for that reason. But taken care of, these trucks last and last...

·
Premium Member
15,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The 97 has been sold. Depending on what congress does I may be able to increase the truck fund. My biggest concern is always reliability. My plan is to have a mechanic look it over as if he was the buyer.

The truck will be used to haul big corrugated pipe and horse panels for a business I'm trying to start. It will also be used to move my belongings but that will be a one time deal.

How does fuel consumption compare between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton?

·
Premium Member
23,628 Posts
IME, fuel consumption is more about the engine than the hauling capacity of the truck. My 1 ton van with a 5.4 L engine got the same mpg loaded or unloaded, maybe a bit better on the highway. It got the same mpg as a 3/4 ton truck with the same size engine. A 6 cylinder will get better mpg but you won't be able to haul as much or have as much power to go up steep hills.

·
Registered
211 Posts
With any full sized truck you will only get between 10 and 20 mpg. Diesel usually will get the best, gas the worst.

My 2001 7.3 Ford Superduty gets around 18-20, the 2010 Silverado 3/4 ton 6.0 gas gets 10 or so.

6 cylinders with the exception of the old Ford straight 6, aren't useful for a hauling truck.

My 2001 is more comfortable than the 2010 and has better visibility for maneuvering.

Lots to look at besides fuel mileage.

3/4 ton if you will be pulling trailers with any regularity. They are just built heavier.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts