Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles can a person expect to get from a 1997 Ford F-150?

I found one with only 65,000 on it but at 23 yrs old I'm starting to wonder how long a truck like that typically lasts if it's taken care of properly.

Is there any kind of book that shows things like this?

·
Saltine American
5,944 Posts
I have a 99 F250 (150 Body Style) with 230,000 miles and it runs great. Coil packs are going out but not really expensive for a do it yourself type guy. It has the gas V8, 5.4??

·
Premium Member
15,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 99 F250 (150 Body Style) with 230,000 miles and it runs great. Coil packs are going out but not really expensive for a do it yourself type guy. It has the gas V8, 5.4??
Thanks. That helps. I'll have to check on the engine size. I'll need it for pulling a large trailer.

Reactions: po boy

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Unless you get into a terrible wreck, it will last as long as you are willing to maintain it. How large a trailer are you talking about? A F-150 is not suitable for pulling a large trailer.

·
Premium Member
15,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless you get into a terrible wreck, it will last as long as you are willing to maintain it. How large a trailer are you talking about? A F-150 is not suitable for pulling a large trailer.
I haven't thought it through on the trailer size but I'm thinking large enough to hold all of my belongs except maybe the lawn and garden equipment. A friend told me of an F-150 that handled pulling a 26' trailer out west in the mountains. It was a newer vehicle.

I just saw a second one with 186,000 miles on it for 5 grand. Both are V-8's.

Today I started wondering if I should maybe include F-250's in the search.

One of the trucks was owned by a smoker. Can smoke residue be removed?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I haven't thought it through on the trailer size but I'm thinking large enough to hold all of my belongs except maybe the lawn and garden equipment. A friend told me of an F-150 that handled pulling a 26' trailer out west in the mountains. It was a newer vehicle.

I just saw a second one with 186,000 miles on it for 5 grand. Both are V-8's.

Today I started wondering if I should maybe include F-250's in the search.

Just being able to pull it, does not mean it can really handle it. How much does this 26' trailer weigh? If you are going 65 mph, and the car in front of you stops, can you stop, or swerve around them and maintain control? I often pull a twenty foot trailer. It weighs four thousand pounds empty. It can be loaded to twelve thousand pounds. At twelve thousand pounds a 3/4 ton truck can pull it, but not really handle it in any emergency situation. When towing you should plan for the unexpected, not what is normal.

If this a one time deal, just to get moved, you would be better served by renting a U-haul that can really handle the load.

·
Premium Member
23,588 Posts
I have a 2000 E-350 van with 172,000 miles. The engine runs great, most dependable engine I ever had. I would still be driving it but the frame rusted out on it. Diesels last longer, but 270,000 on a gas engine is very possible with proper maintenance.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Look at things like the rear spring mounts/supports/shackles and front brakes // suspension stampings to see if rust is an issue - something parked on pavement its whole life will be in much better shape than something parked over dirt...

·
Uncertified Master Chief Village Idiot
1,950 Posts
I've owned two 97 f-150s in my life.

My first ran up to 270,000ish before I let it go to a family member. It's still running today at almost 300,000. I'd had the transmission replaced once and had to put an intake manifold gasket on it.

The one I drive now is at about 170,000. I had an engine put in it last year since I was an idiot and ran it hot with a bad head gasket trying to get home. A $1800 repair turned into $4000. I'll drive this one til I can't anymore.

If it's big enough for your needs is going to be the million dollar question. And if you're willing to deal with the little aggravating things that are always acting up on 20+ year old vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
In my construction business we always ran a fleet of Ford F-150's & F-250's. We typically ran them for about 10 years and 250,000 miles before we replaced them. Problems were minimal and they still had some decent life left in them. It's all how you take care of them A single owner who drives conservatively, garaged their vehicle every night, follows the maintenance schedule to the letter, etc. could likely get 300,000 miles without anything too major going wrong.

Engines or transmissions going bad are a crap shoot, but we had very few of those issues with all kinds of drivers. Brakes, water pumps, starters, etc. occasionally go bad, but they don't break the bank.

·
Premium Member
15,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is good info. Thanks.

Are all F-250s hard to turn in a tight circle? I had a 1977 F-250 and you could barely turn it around in a 4 lane highway. The one I drove for work a few years ago was the same way. I talked with a guy at work and he has an F-250 that is identical to an F-150 and it takes 40 acres to turn. Is that adjustable?

·
Saltine American
5,944 Posts
My 99 F250 is the same truck as the F150 and it is no different than a regular F150 to drive or turn around. I do have a 2003 F250 four-door that I seldom drive because it takes too much real estate to turn it around. Bought it new and it has only 127,000 miles. If I had any sense, I would sell it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you are going to be pulling a trailer of any real size get a 3/4 ton. Especially if it is an older truck.

New 1/2 tons are able to trailer and carry a good amount of wieght compared to the older ones.

The best used rig in my opinion would be a 99- 2003 Ford 7.3 diesel. We have 273 000 miles on ours and I wouldn't hesitate to run it on a 500 mile run, any more than any other used rig.

They command a premium price for a reason.

Mid 90's 454 3/4 ton rigs with the Vortec engine are a good choice as well.

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Trucks from a generation or two ago required you to add a little oil every few weeks, smell the transmission fluid, check belts and hoses, etc.
100,000 miles on such a vehicle was the benchmark.
Modern drive trains on the trucks can outlast their bodies, their electronics and sometimes their owners.
Change the oil and drive with common sense.

·
Premium Member
23,588 Posts
I can turn my extended cab, 8 foot bed, F-350 around in the area of 6 parking spaces (double row, not single line) but it took years of practice. It's not much bigger than an extended van or a 70's era station wagon. I drove an extended van for more than 20 years.
But it's not like turning my little Explorer which has a tighter turning radius than a Crown Victoria.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I had a '95 F150 that was bullet proof. The old straight 6 and 5-speed trans. However I couldn't keep up with the rust. I liked the truck so much that I even had a clean good cab put on it and had the rear wheel wheels redone twice. But it still rusted away and had to get rid of it.

I really miss that truck!

·
Dallas
13,791 Posts
Smokers think it can. ex-smokers know it never goes away.

·
Premium Member
15,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's the 97 F-150. It's only $3,000. 186,000 miles. It's a 4.6 liter engine with a 4 speed automatic with overdrive.

I would be willing to put another $2,000 in it if needed as long as it was dependable. As far as towing heavy trailers it wouldn't be a normal thing.

·
Premium Member
17,939 Posts
I'd be more inclined to buy the one below. One owner, stored indoors, 3/4-ton, asking $9,900 (probably could get if for less), V8 and only 69K miles.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts