Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tranny went in my 2wd truck. I lost 3rd and OD. I had to drive all the way home in 2nd. I don't have a tranny shop to tow it to and get it tested. Is there anything I can check it for? I don't mind pulling it because I am going to have to anyway to change it.
Also I called a few scrap yards. One told me the that only a 1996 will be recognised by my computer. The other guy said other years will work. Anyone know for sure? I can get a 93 tranny cheap.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
If I\m thinking right 95-99 should work

·
Registered
50 Posts
The tranny went in my 2wd truck. I lost 3rd and OD. I had to drive all the way home in 2nd. I don't have a tranny shop to tow it to and get it tested. Is there anything I can check it for? I don't mind pulling it because I am going to have to anyway to change it.
Also I called a few scrap yards. One told me the that only a 1996 will be recognised by my computer. The other guy said other years will work. Anyone know for sure? I can get a 93 tranny cheap.
Hey Rob...........Sounds like a bad clutch pack to me. 93 was the first year of the electronic tranny.... I think the 93 wouldnt be compatable in your 96, but not positive. These are fairly easy to rebuild...and parts are not too expensive. Maybe you could open it up yourself. Lots of good step by step manuals out there

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
You say you"lost" 3rd. and OD, explain what you mean. This is an electronically shifted trans. If the trans gets the wrong signal from the shift quadrant or if a solenoid or sensor malfunctions you will not get a shift to that gear.
Is the fluid brown and or burnt smelling? Is the check engine lite on?

What engine?

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fluid is burnt.
The truck runs fine until it trys to shift into 3rd. Then the engine revs up and the truck rolls to a stop.
I thought about taking it apart myself. But I already have a belarus tractor in pieces in the garage. Plus I think a clutch kit is about $400. A little much for me to play around with. I am hoping to find a used tranny for that price. Or I will sell it and get a 4X4.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts