1993 Ford 150 question??

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by VAcrafter15, Jun 17, 2004.

1. VAcrafter15

VAcrafter15 Member

Hi all, give me your best guess please. My truck has a 300 cubic inch inline six engine. 209,000 thousand miles and still runs great. My only problem is the transmission leaks clean, (not burnt) fluid out of the rubber plug in the forward section of the transmission. This problem occurs when I drive 30+ continous miles without stopping and only during the heat of the summer 85-95 degree temps. I love this truck however I would rather not sink more big money into it. Keep in mind I had the transmission was replaced with a rebuilt one three years ago at a cost of $1,500. Need advice to minimize my aggrevation...Hope to keep her, thanks everyone.....John
    Also today I drove about 40 miles without the A/C on and found a constant drip coming from the rubber plug and the foward plate locate three inch in front of the rubber plug...thanks again.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Three thoughts come to mind, replace the plug in that it might be heat shrunk after all this time, replace or tighten the plate gasket, make sure the top vent is clear for internal pressure to escape. Asssumeing this is a C-6 auto trans?

3. VAcrafter15

VAcrafter15 Member

thanks for responding to my truck issue, my thoughts were to focus on the radiator, cooling fan or restricted transmission lines...more help or opinions from you would be helpful..thanks,,,,John

4. danielbrown

danielbrown Active Member

it probably an EAOD tranny. the C6 was last used in '96 and only in F250s and F350s.

an aftermarket trany cooler wouldn't hurt.
    mount it in front on the radiator and plum it in after the factory cooler.

Trany>>factory cooler>>aftermarket cooler>>trany.

5. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

You say it leaks out of the rubber plug. Is this rubber plug at the bottom of the trans in the area that would be called the bellhousing? This is the frt. hsng where the flywheel and torque converter are housed. If this is the black plug about 1 1/2 in dia. it is just a dust plug. If there is fluid dripping from it the fluid is most likely leaking from the frt. seal on the trans. To repair this properly will require removal of the trans and replacement of the seal and recommended replacement of the bushing inside the frt. pump that the torque converter hub rides on. This may also require replacement of the torque converter as the hub may be worn due to the mileage of the vehicle.

6. VAcrafter15

VAcrafter15 Member

Thanks everyone, as it turned out all i needed was an new thermostat costing 5.99. The trans. fluid was overheating because the thermostat was not opening fully, old age I presume. Thank goodness that all it was,...bye