1990 F-150 Tranny Problem

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by pcwerk, Jan 1, 2006.

1. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member Supporter

Hello all,
    I just bought a 1990 F-150 Lariat XLT 2wd for just $500! Really clean truck,
    very little rust, etc. Only problem is the fellow said he was pulling a Cadillac
    with it and forgot to push in the OD cancel button (it is automatic). He thinks
    he "burned something up" and it may need a new tranny. Well, it drives very
    well but slips in gears at times, particularly when going in lower gears and around corners for some reason? I have done some research and think it may
    be the modulator valve, or the MLPS (Manual Lever Position Sensor). Any
    guesses from you folks? Thanks in advance!
    James

2. danb98577

danb98577 Well-Known Member

Hmmm..was that Cadillac hooked to a loaded log truck? Just kidding-sounds more like you ought to drop the trans pan and look in the bottom-I would be surprised if it is not layered with shavings, etc. from the bands. There is an adjustment, but read first! Fluid smell burnt? Filter and fluid change MIGHT fix, but temporary. The only additive I have ever seen work is made by Lucas products-the rest are junk. Again, likely a temporary cure. Hope this helped-danb

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

If it slips on turns I would drop the pan and check the filter. The filter on those trans can fall out or not seal well and cause a lack of fluid pressure. One sign of this is the truck stalling when you place it in revese. What condition is the fluid in? What does it smell like? Unfortunately that is an E4OD overdrive automatic transmission and it is generally expensive to rebuild. I just checked car part.com a used one with a lot of miles is $750-$1,000.

4. pcwerk

Thanks to you and Beeman for responding. I will do the fluid change and
    check/change the filter. Haven't smelled the fluid yet, but it looked clean.
    thanks again,
    james

5. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

since it happens while turning i would also suspect fluid level or something with the fluid pickup. Doesn't the eod4 have a "trouble light" i think the od light will flash if it senses a problem. i also think those were the years that the eod4 had lots of trouble, if worse is worse do a search for jasper transmissions and throw your wallet up in the air.

6. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I dont know what tranny is behind my diesel in my 1997 F250 but I was told by a tranny shop that jasper gets $2500 for their reman.

7. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

E4OD does have a light that will flash if it has the button on the end of the shifter which I don't think a 90 model has. I should warn you that the trans pan is like a washtub on those and you will take a bath in fluid if you're not careful.

8. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

About ninety five percent of the issues with this trans was the torque converters were junk on many and caused shuddering etc. I bought two "bad ones" and changed the filter fluid and put a new torque converter with them and sold them and that was three years ago and they are still on the road today.

9. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, the jasper is around 2500, with a three year, 75000 mile warrenty. i do a lot of heavy hauling with my F250, and this southern boy would hate to be broken down in the north. so i went with jasper, by the way my trans went at 175,000 and a lot of those miles were overloaded towing. so knock on wood, i'm satisfied. if i had a F150 used for local driving, i would probably go with autozone. i think 1500 or 1800 for the aeod4. i probably would not go with a local rebuild UNLESS i KNEW the person rebuilding the trans. but just me "after haveing two bad local rebuilds" anyway a 500 ford is still a pretty good bargain, if the engine is not next.

10. pcwerk

LOL! Hey, Ace I AM a Southern Boy and I also DON"T want to be broke down
    up here. Although, I don't think I would be on the side of the road very long before some local stopped to see if they could help...thats the way folks
    are up here:) A local mechanic with a solid rep said he could get a reman
    tranny with a lifetime warranty for $1,000. Maybe 3-400 to install. If need be, I will go that route but I may try the fluid/filter change first and possibly
    change out the modulator valve. It seems to run too good to be anything major...just a few slips here and there. OTOH, I have the funds *right now*
    and if I wait too long I'm sure something else will come along and gobble it up.
    (And due to Murphy's Law, the VERY next week my tranny will go out completely!) Thanks for the input.
    James
    ps
    Thanks DS, I'll also have them check out the torque converter.

11. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

The 90 has a button on the right side of the steering wheel on the dash, just an fyi. I have taken a bath like that before... and I even knew what to look out for. Oh well, it will happen sometimes when you work without the benefit of a lift/pit.

12. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I have a hand pump that I run a piece of plastic hose down the filler tube and pump out the pan first.