1988 Dodge Caravan 2.5L EFI Starting problem

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by kionakid, Nov 21, 2004.

1. kionakid

kionakid New Member

I recently picked up this vehicle. It ran for about a day. When I go to start it now it will run afor about 4-8 seconds and then shut down like it is starved for fuel. I checked the fuel and fuel is pumping at startup.

I think I may have a bad relay or other elcectrical problem, but none of the manuals seem to help identify the possible problem.

The prvious owner had to replace the ECM (another unit from a junk yard).

There are fault codes showing up 32 and 37, but I don't know if these codes are from the previous vehicle it was installed in. He said the "Check Engine: light still came on after he installed the one that is in there now.

Any ideas? I am preparing to have it towed to an auto repair shop, but would love to get it strated and running long enough to drive it there. I have other work I need done on it.

Could the ASD be a problem here? Any ideas or assistance would be great?

This is my first visit to this site.

Thanks for any help.

Mike - Kionakid

2. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

The list of things that "could" be wrong with this is endless, your probably going to save yourself a lot more effort and frustration just biting the bullet and getting it towed in.
    People here can help you, but thats really not much info to go on, and if the van has been tampered with by the previous owner your going to be chasing a lot of maybe's.
    Sorry couldn't help.

3. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Koinakid. Well, there seems to be a lot of Dodge Caravan's here with problems. I have the post below about the 93 caravan. The first thing you should probably do in order to insure the trouble codes are the most recent is to un-hook the battery for ten minutes. Then re-hook it and run the trouble codes. Call your local Autozone and they should be able to not only tell you what that code means, but print out everything the computer tells them. If they won't help or you don't have an Autozone, PM me as I have a Haynes and I am all to familular with the trouble codes.
    What you are describing sounds kind of like what I went through with my caravan the breakdown before this one. We replaced the fuel filter (which it needed badly!) but it still would not run for more than a minute or so. The we where advised to use a carb. cleaner that was sensor safe and to clean out the throttle body housing. When John did this and re-hooked all of the stuff, it started right up. It ran for a couple of weeks and now we are having more problems. I don't realy know if these problems are in any way related to the previous problems or our "treatment" of them. You should realy wait and see what the others here say about what I just wrote before you try any of it.
    Read my post below for the latest installment of our caravan problems. I am just telling you what we did. I am so not a mechanic. There are others here that can tell you much more, but I thought your story sounded so familular that I had to jump in too. I wish you all the best.
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

4. Herb.

Herb. Well-Known Member

Sounds like it is starting okay but will not stay running. I am a long way from home and do not have access to a manual, what is a code 32 and 37? Do you know if those were the orginal codes ie. before the ecm was changed. If you disconnect the battery for a little while the codes will reset, of course if the problem is still there they will come right back.

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Vehicles that have electrical fule pumps inside of the gas tank are subject to haveing a relay that turns off the pump if the vehicle recieves a bump or impact, often times this relays electrical connection is the source of similiar problems. Age, stiff overheated wires, corroded electrical spade clips all can allow you to start the engine but any small vibration will make them fail, because they shut off leaveing only a few seconds worth of fuel available for the system.

6. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

All dodge caravans have a fuel system recall. (I worked on it)Call a dealer and tell him you smell gas but it won't run. You should get a response.

mikell

7. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

If the car won't run it won't clear the trouble codes out. So don't unhook the battery unless the car will run. Mine would not even start at all.

Number 32 reads as follows:
    EGR solenoid circuit..... An open or shorted condition detectd in the EGR solenoid circut (some California models)

OR
    EGR system failure....... Required change in air/fuel ratio not detected during diagnostic test (some California models)

There is a double asteric on this number indicating the following footnote: These codes light up the Check Engine light on the instrumet panels on vehicles with special California emissions controls

Number 37 reads as follows:
    Part throttle unlock solenoid circuit.......an open or shorted condition detected in the torque converter part throttle unlock solenoid circuit (automatic transaxles only)

Hope this helps
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie