1986 maxima

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by paulaswolfpack, Sep 11, 2006.

1. paulaswolfpack

paulaswolfpack Well-Known Member

my dd has a 86 maxima nession first gear went out the mechcanic is looking in the junkyards for a used one that they say will cost $400.to 600you get no warrenty for things like that can she still drive it? today she will talk to her shop teacher about bringing it into class I will have to buy the parts they will rebuild it would that be the thing to do? however I been up all morning trying to find a rebuild kit for a 1986 5 speed transmission and cant find one went to J.C. whitney, autozone,Oriley no luck any sugestions? thanks paula :help: :grump:

2. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

I think you will find that you only option will be limited to hoping to find a good used trans. from a junk yard. There are many factors working against you on this one. First availability, this is an older, low volume production vehicle from a second tier Japanese manufacturer (as opposed to Honda or Toyota) there is no big demand for any part from this vehicle. Second it is a manual trans., automatics have nearly a 100% share of the market here and have for a long time, so that makes it even more obscure, and unlikely that there is much in the way of aftermarket parts available. I would really hesitate to start ripping into it, especially if you have to pay a mechanic to do it for you. There is a real probability that the parts you need are no longer available, or horrible expensive, from your local Nissan dealer. Research before you try to repair it, it may be a big waste of time, money or both. Read the JDM sticky on this forum, it may be just what you need.Good luck

3. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

you were told wrong

I was a manager for both AZ and Advance AUto and a district manager for AZ. Both carry rebuild kits for the automatics and the manuals for that car.

You can get a rebuilt auto trans for 1200 with unlimited mileage warranty and a manual transmission for 1000 and a unlimited mileage warranty.

If you want the manual transmission rebuild kit it is available including synchros from Auto Zone here is the part number etc

ATC Pro King with Syncros BK182WS

It will NOT show up in their electronic catalog on the front counter. You need to ask for the Parts Pro or manager and tell them what you need and the parts number etc. To verify you are indeed getting the correct part you can call this number 1 800 268 2368. Have your vin code handy. I dont believe there are any other models of tranny but one for that one but just to be safe....

If they wont cooperate because they are too lazy or stupid tell them that the District Manager from Store 210 Jasper Alabama sent you in to order it. They will get compliant pretty fast then lol

If you have any issues please pm me and I will see if I can help you

4. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

http://www.drivetrain.com/nissanRS5F50Afwd5sp.html

If all else fails call these guys. If you lost first then the synchros are really what you need

Here is their kits etc. Call the number and tell them you need the synchros as they are separate.

1-800-216-1632

5. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

Is it really worth putting $600 or more into a car almost 21 years old? What is the blue book value on the car? I think I would look at putting the money towards another car and junk this one. Just a thought.
    clove

6. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

I'm going to agree with clovis, it's not worth it to put an expensive transmission in an 86 nissan maxima. Have her start in second gear if first is totally shot, do that until the clutch gives out then junk the car. Also make sure she's not in the habit of shifting back into first while the car is still moving, that might be why she killed the first gear synchros.

7. BigBoy

BigBoy No attitude here...

Having worked in Nissan parts dept's since 1982 I'll add my comments...
    IF you like the car, it isn't giving any other problems and it is paid for and otherwise in good shape with less than 200,000 miles on it, I would fix it. As long as you keep your air filter and oil changed and a timing belt* changed every 60,000 miles it will go for 200,000 miles plus. (*broken timing belt equals broken cams and/or heads on the Nissan V6) You won't buy anything any better for what you can fix this one for.
    A few Nissan 5-speeds in the mid '80's had a 1st gear and 5th gear issue. So if you do go used, make sure to drain the gear oil and check it for metal shavings.
    And the car production dates that will fit exactly will be 07/84-12/85. 1987 models actually started in 1/86.
    And one more suggestion... Always use Nissan oil and air filters or at the very least NAPA or WIX. NEVER Fram. I've taken apart Nissan and Fram to compare them and I'll never buy Fram again.
    Good Luck!

8. staceyfb

staceyfb Well-Known Member

If you do some research,Fram makes 99.9% of all oil filters and resources them out for others to brand. Nissan may not be a fram filter as it is a foriegn made filter, but Napa, WIX, Pennzoil, etc are all made by Fram. So on brand is just as good as the next. Even the big 3 buy thier filters from Fram and rebrand them. You can't really get a filter that is better than the next anymore in todays day and age. BEst advice is to buy the best one you can afford. Say K&n or the smaller companies as such that are built to yesteryears standards.

9. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Ah, no. Not even faintly close to the truth. It would do YOU some good to do some research on filters.

10. BigBoy

BigBoy No attitude here...

Stacyfb, you really need to research a little more. Wix and NAPA (same filter) are made by Gard Corp. Fram isn't made by Gard.

There are only a few different companies making filters and many different brands will be made by one company but I've seen many filters disassembled and Fram is by far the worst I have ever seen.

11. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

A friend of mine works for honeywell consumer products, they make fram and a few other filter brands. Just because the same parent company makes the filters, does not mean that the filters are all the same, in fact the opposite is true, the different brands have different designs and quality standards. On his personal vehicles, he uses the fram tough gard filters, they are pretty decent. The plain orange fram ones aren't the best.

12. paulaswolfpack

paulaswolfpack Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice bigboy,I was giving up on finding a decent tranny for price found one 12 miles down the road, couldnt believe it was so close, it is a good little car and only worked on by one man,he bought from the owner a few years back,then I bought from him,the mechcanic, hes the one I trust in this area, I have had a hard time trusting a mechcanic for a while when we lived in lewiston,Id.a few years back I owned a 89 jeep had every thing rebuilt and replaced in it took it to his shop for a right front axle seal he had it for more than a week with one excuse after another why taking so long when I got it back, bruning oil leaking every thing two days latter it went out when I opened the hood what a surprise every part and componet that I know was new was gone tranny, transfer, eingine, down to the starter,see my dad taught me years ago to paint things with RED fingernail polish,That man was made by Nappa to take down his sighn.