1985 Dodge Omni

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by moopups, Dec 25, 2004.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Just rode in it and find that the front wheel try to shift left and right rerpeatively, but only when speed is held or accelerated, not when you let off the gas, suggestions? The sideways shift is severe enought to assume a couple of inches per wheel revolution.

2. Manny

Manny Well-Known Member

Sounds like the caster of the wheels is bad.
    Was there a front end collision in the past or were the front struts replaced without front end alignment being checked? Probably needs front end alignment.

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I once had a Vega do something very similar. Turned out the tie rod was loose in the holding shaft. Had it in to a dealer twice to check and they said everyting was OK. Was driving in downtown Dayton when it pulled loose and the front wheels spread out. I was only going about 20 mph at the time. A couple of days later I was in the lobby of one of the hospitals waiting to take someone home. A couple was talking about visiting a relative who had been in an auto wreck - the tie rod came loose and resulted in loss of control.

If the Omni has tie rods, you might want to check them.

Ken Scharabok

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Moopups, often a car will exhibit symptoms prior to failure. When the symptoms are ignored the consequences are often diasterous and I think you would be well advise not to use this car until the problem is identified. The situation here is more than just being stranded which is dangerous enough in itself. The front of the vehicle or a minimum the side with the obvious fault needs to be raised from the ground and a thorough observation of the suspension/steering made. Something is seriously wrong as you suspect or you would not have posted IMO. Be safe and do not drive the car until the problem is diagnosed and repaired.

5. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Now this is just guess work on a 20 year old car but here are some basics to check. This car is frt. wheel drive, If the engine or transmission are allowed to move due to a broken mount it can cause a misalignment of the axle shafts which will cause a wobble. A bad joint on the end of the drive axle can cause a wobble in the steering. A bad suspension or steering component can also cause wobbles like this. This is not the kind of problem you want to drive with without knowing what is wrong.

I just reread your post and you say the actual frt. wheels shift left to right. This would definetly lead to what I have posted. If the motor/trans assy shifts it will cause the inner axle joints to bind as they are tripot joints and can get into a bind. Suspension can also do this but would be more noticeable on accelleration and the car might sit lower on one side or very low in the frt.

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Just observed the engine, when car is running and in gear, in the drive position the enging tilts back to the rear bout 3 inches when you apply power. It does not move when in reverse, would this soley indicate the front motor mount is defective?

7. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

From where I'm sitting that seems about right. I honestly cannot remember how an Omni's engine mounts so all I can say is that could be excessive play. Try and see where the movement is at, possible broken or worn rubber, also look for missing bolts.

8. AstralBear

AstralBear Active Member

I had a similar problem with my daughters toyota .

What is was , there are bushing in ( I think they are called control arms ) that were worn out . Funny how toyota rigged the design . The bushing ( worth about $5 each ) cannot be replaced so I needed to replace the whole control arms costing about $225 each x 2 ( $450 ) .All for $10 worth of rubber bushing damage caused by normal wear and tear .