1980 Jeep CJ help needed

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by wildwanderer, Aug 16, 2006.

1. wildwanderer

wildwanderer Momma, Goatherder etc....

Most likely this is just something i haven't figured out. I have an old CJ the undermount/sheild thing that holds/covers the transmission and stuff under there has vibrated loose on one side - however I climbed under to try to fix it and I can't budge the thing at all. I can't get it back up to the frame to put the bolts in or move it at all. This is good because it probably won't fall off on me but I really need to get the thing put back up there and secured I have 5 miles of fairly rough road on the way home.

How? Somedays I think I can fix this jeep no matter what then something so simple happens and I can't manage it on my own. So if anyone can help me I am not a weak girl, so I am not certain if I am missing something here??

Any suggestions on how to keep it from vibrating out again? I have added lock washers and some lock tight stuff from the parts store I would love any additional suggestions.

Thank you in advance - Terri
    If you know a decent mechanic in or around Harrison arkansas I could use a referral, when my dad isn't around I feel just helpless at times.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I would think a bottle shaped hydraulic jack would work to return the skid plate to its original placement, if the hole does not align correctly you will need to either loosen the entire unit or drop it back down and enlarge the original hole size. The presents of a piece of rubber (between the skid plate and a large fender washer the bolt goes through) will insure a non vibrating loosening problem.

3. wildwanderer

wildwanderer Momma, Goatherder etc....

Moonpups-

That did it thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.
    Take care - Terri

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    For some reason the word moonpups is often used instead of moopups, I was raising calves when I got into puters, hence the screen name moopups. Moo as in cattle - pups as in little ones.

5. ericjeeper

ericjeeper Well-Known Member

sounds like the welded into the frame nuts might be worn. so Find a friend with a 7/16 NC tap and replace the bolts to an oversize,.