1977 Suzuki GS400

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Alice In TX/MO, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I sure hope there are some motorcycle gurus on here. :)

On a whim, I bought a 1977 Suzuki GS400 at an auction. Paid $300. It runs like a bat out of you know where, except when it doesn't. It just cuts off sometimes. Any suggestions? We have emptied the old fuel, cleaned the gas tank, replaced the fuel filter, checked the hoses.

Also, need new mufflers. The old owners manual suggests a two into one Hooker Header muffler, but I can't locate that online, and don't even know if it is being produced any more.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

THANKS!

Rose

P.S. Don't breathe a word of any of this to my son, who doesn't know I bought a motorcycle. :eek:

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

......................Sounds like the float in your carb's maybe shutting off the flow of fuel coming from the tank. When gas is allowed to sit and decompose in tanks and carbs and it will turn into lacquer and coat and Stick to all moving parts and really gum things UP . Sounds like your fuel system needs to be thourghly cleaned . You'll just have to look for the exhaust system......fordy... :eek: :)

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Right after it cuts off open the fuel cap and see if there is a suckion noise, fuel vent in cap was a porblem back then, then procede to clean the carbs completely. Check all fuel openings in the carbs by shooting WD 40 into them to actually see evidence that they are open. When reassembleing the carbs make sure all the slides move at the identical time, place equal weighted pieces of string under the vertical slides, then twist the wick (throttle) slowley and be sure they all drop at the same time. Watch for a pm that has a business friends shop number on it, he can find anything you might need.

Note that some bikes from that era had a fuel shut off built in to the pet cock via diaphram so that fuel would not leak if the rider forgot to turn off the fuel when parked, there could be an air leak in the hose if so equiped. It only opens when there is vacuum.

I have a '74 Honda CB750, with a 821 kit so let me know when you want to do pink slips....

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

You're sure you're not losing spark from a poor coil? I know very little about bikes just a thought.

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Please clairify what year it is , my words were for the 1977 models. The 1997 models are mentioned also in your post.

6. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

absolutely a 1977...seventy seven....will try to correct the original post
    subject line.

7. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I edited the title for you Rose. Don't think anyone but a moderator can touch that part. Weird but tis fixed all the same. Good luck!