1976 Jeep 258 Timing

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by vtfarma, Feb 28, 2005.

1. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

Help, my fil took apart his jeep to fix other problems and is now trying to set his timing on it. It is a 1976 258 st. 6. Apparently a cousin and my fil spent an entire day yesterday working on this. DH is on his way over there this morning to take over the headache. Can anyone help?

Thanks, Laurie

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

try going 2 the library they have a book that will show what they need 2 do

3. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

Take the spark plug out of the number one cylinder. Just barely tap the ignition until you get the piston to the top of its stroke. Then put the distributor in making sure that the rotor is on the number one spot on the cap. Then its just a matter of a small movement of the whole distributor until you get close then finish off with a timing light. I hardly ever use a timing light on older vhicles as I can get it pretty sweet just by loosening the set screw and making small adjjustments to the distributor

If it is the timing gears themselves you may have to remove them and reinstall. If I am not mistaken on a 258 you look on the repsective gears for the mark and then put the mark on the top gear at the bottom or 6 oclock position and the bottom gear needs the mark at 12 so the marks are on top another. You can go to the local library to get the information for sure or call the closest dealership and ask for the parts dept.