1953 Allis-Chalmers rams for loader?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Oshbrg, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Oshbrg

Oshbrg Member

I recently bought a 1953 CA with a bucket loader, and lots of other attachments... but the question I have is about the rams on the loader. They seem to leak a lot!! I mean way too much. When I lift the bucket off the ground there is a very fast drip... almost a steady stream of fluid coming out around the piston. Before I rip it apart, can anyone tell me what kind of seal I should expect to find in there? Is it just o-rings, a lip seal, or just packing? Any help would be great!!!

Mike

2. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

Hard to say what you'll find.

I recently fixed a leak on my loader - Dearborn Model 19-21 - and found five leather o-rings. The end one was bad, so I put it in the middle of the stack and put the cylinder back together. No more leak and I'm happy.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

It is too hard to guess, but there will be some sort of O ring seal on the end, or combination of packings. If it's a single acting cyl without down preasure the gland on the rod must be letting oil past to leak out and that may be more involved; however, I'd expect Allis to have used an off the shelf hydraulic component, unlike Case industrial which used Case specific parts and can be hard to find. Its already broken you can hardly make it worse.