1948 Ford 8n problem

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Snomama, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Snomama

Snomama Well-Known Member

My '48 is stuck either inbetween first and second gear or in both at the same time. It happened when I stopped and tried to shift out of first into neutral. I was unable to get it back into gear. If you stand on the clutch it will start, but when you let out, it bogs down and dies.

I took the cover off the shifter, there are two brackets that the shifter controls. The top one moves freely, but the bottom one is in a bind. How do I get it loose?

HELP PLEASE :help:

Snoman

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

www.ytmag.com will get you quick answers, there are many many N folks over there on their section.

Basically block the tractor so it doesn't roll away on you, and you need to either rock the tractor a bit as you push on that shifter fork with a big screwdriver, or keep the clutch down - you are working against the resistance of the spring detent & the wheels of the tractor wanting to roll a little in one direction.

This is generic advise, I haven't worked o an N exactly, but has applied to my tractors.

You are best off getting the worn parts replaced or built up with a welding rod, as once this happens it likely happens again......

--->Paul

3. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

If the tractor is on flat ground you may be able to get it free with the assistance of one or two strong friends.

With the engine stopped and the clutch out have your strong friends try to rock the tractor back and forth by hauling on the rear wheels while you try to get those selectors to move.