Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a '41 D6 dozer for sale in the paper but it is over 100miles away. Does anyone have a picture of a 41 D6 Cat? Haven't spoken to the owner but the ad says its needs 2 injectors. How hard are parts to come by on something like this? Im sure it needs a lot of undercarraige work... I'm just looking for something I can putt around on and roll over a couple of little blackjacks here and there. Any thoughts on this? (Yea, I know its obviously very very old so you don't have to point that out.)

By the way... if anyone can explain the naming scheme on these things it would help me out quite a bit. Is D6 the size of the dozer or the size of the motor or what? Thanks a lot!

·
Goshen Farm
7,271 Posts
greetings from montana! my neighbor has a very old d6 cat dozer. i was able to find him some parts by searching on the internet. there are several sites by people who collect and restore these beasts and I am certain you will be able to find what you need. but look for parts before buying!

·
Premium Member
7,154 Posts
The D6 is a mid sized dozer. Also a popular size. They are big enough to clear woodland with trees up to 2 feet in diameter. The one you are interested in likely doesn't have hydraulics, and will have cable lifts on the blade, but they got the job done.

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
......................Any cat dozer of that age will ALL most certainly be a Gasser . I don't think diesels appeared until the mid 50's . ...fordy... :eek: :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Good find Cedar, I didn't think to check on E-Bay. I remember those dozers from movie clips of the SeaBee's making runways in the pacific.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
A machine this old can be VERY expensive to maintain. Several years ago I had to replace a waterpump(rebuilt) and sheave(new) on a 1963 955 H Cat and it cost me over $1000 and I did the labor. Parts can be almost non existent!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts