1900's Coats Manual Tire Changer Tool ??

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by dhodges, May 7, 2006.

1. dhodges

dhodges Member

Hey folks! Hope someone knows about this. Have used these old changers before but only with crow bars, leaf springs etc. This one came with the original tire tool. It's obvious what the two different ends are for and with a little soap and effort it will peel a casing off in seconds. However on one end of the tool there's a projection about 8 inches long and big as your little finger, hinged with a single pin. Not a real heavy setup but obviously good for something as its worn smooth from use. Anybody tell me what it's for and how to use it???

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

My old changer has a similar projection but it is not as long as you described. After gettting the tire broken loose on both sides from the rim and one tire wall over the wheel I lift the remaining tire wall up to the same rim and slip the "finger" under the wall, rotate the tool and extract the tire.

3. dhodges

dhodges Member

Hello fellow tire changer (AGMANTOO) and thanks for your help. How amazing that only thirty some people were interested enough to view my post out of the thousands on here and only one of those folks (you) knew what I was talking about. Thank You and happy tire changing. Looks like the big boys are taking over!!! Dave *& Chris..........

4. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

agmantoo had answerd the post and there was nothing more to add, I have a air powered tire machine a old coats 10 10, I dont know what I would do with out that machine,

Happy tire changing