1890 Sewing Machine

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by vickiesmom, Nov 4, 2006.

1. vickiesmom

vickiesmom Well-Known Member

I just bought a sewing machine, the last patent is 1890, and it is a White sewing machine. It needs a belt, could I find a belt at a vaccum repair since that is what it looks like to me. Does anyone knnow where to purchase belts for it????

2. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

Did you buy it at at an auction today? The best place to buy a belt is at a Singer or white sewing center. Either one will have acess to one but it will have to be ordered. Another place to buy one is at Lemonds. The reason that I asked about the auction is there was one at an auction that I was at today and it needed a belt.

3. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

I have heard you can get old sewing machine parts from this place. You will have to e-mail them with as much information about the machine as you can (and what part you need) and they should get back to you quickly.

http://www.a1sewingmachine.com/parts.html

good Luck,
    Dawn

4. vickiesmom

I bought it at a garage sale. It has the full cabinet and everything. I got it for twenty bucks...did I get a good deal?

5. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

It depends on what you want it for. You didn't get hurt too bad if it is wortsless. The one that I saw at an auction sold for $80.

6. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

The belts are round leather material, and the ends are held together by a staple-like metal clip. There are special pliers that were used to cut the ends of the belt material and punch the hole for the clip, that made the job easier. I bought some belts on eBay a couple of years ago for one of our treadle machines. A local sewing machine store might be able to get belts for you too.

7. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

Try ebay. I buy lots of replacement sewing machine parts from sellers there.
    clove

8. vickiesmom

Thanks to all of you! It is an absolutely beautiful machine! I hope I can get it going this winter!

9. housewife

housewife Well-Known Member

Wow great deal!! Singer is one of the few companies that still can get everything!! and I do mean everything!! I would go to your singer dealer and ask them to look it up for you.

10. vickiesmom

There's a sewing machine shop up the road, that repairs singers. So there's not much difference from White and Singer? :shrug: