Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the national weather service... Do we believe them?

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SEATTLE HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM
WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM SATURDAY TO 4 PM PST
SUNDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

A MAJOR WINTER STORM IS ON TAP THIS WEEKEND. HEAVY SNOW IS
EXPECTED TO DEVELOP ALONG THE COAST ON SATURDAY AFTERNOON AND THEN
SPREAD INTO THE INTERIOR OF WESTERN WASHINGTON EARLY SATURDAY
EVENING. HEAVIEST SNOW WILL OCCUR ON THE KITSAP PENINSULA...ALONG
HOOD CANAL...AND FROM OLYMPIA AND CHEHALIS WEST TO THE CENTRAL
COAST NEAR OCEAN SHORES. 10 TO 18 INCHES OF SNOW IS EXPECTED CLOSE
TO HOOD CANAL. OTHER LOCATIONS WITHIN THIS AREA SHOULD GET 5 TO 12
INCHES OF SNOW.

ETA: Duh... I DO know how to spell peninsula, I do, I do!

·
Just Hanging On
330 Posts
My BIL works for PSE and they are being told this will be as bad if not worse than the 2003 storm. They are expecting gust of 90-100 MPH. Plus even more snow and then freezing rain.

We stocked up the wood pile by the back door and I rechecked the batteries in the flashlights and lanterns.

So much fun. After that I am sure it will all melt and then we will have more flooding. The joys of the Pacific Northwest. :)

Stay Safe everyone.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
We have blizzard warnings up here in Whatcom Co...

I can tell you the snowplow drivers are gearing up in a big, big way.

If you need to head anywhere for the holidays, you might consider leaving right now. Otherwise, expect to stick close to home for several days.

·
God Smacked Jesus Freak
7,456 Posts
we got 12" over the day just today, at 1000'(northern coast range of Oregon) can't wait to see what Saturday brings--the local recent record neighbors can remember is 3 feet of snow back in 1996(whenever those really bad floods were). sigh, my MIL also died this morning(it was expected) so we are planning to "get out" for a road trip to California next week.

kids have been having great fun sledding, and the neighbors have been making the coffee rounds...ha, nothing like being snowbound to get people to get social!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
My mom works for Kitsap County and they are preparing for the worst! Stay warm and indoors as many people in the NW are not used to that much snow and ice!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
http://www.komonews.com/news/archive/4110466.html

"In case you're curious, for Seattle, our record snowfall is 67.5 inches, set in the winter of 1968 and 1969. That was basically over two months. Our record monthly total was 57.2 inches in January 1950."
So we know it is possible....oh and in the 90's they had a 24hour snowfall of 20" at SeaTac.

As to them being right this time...it is hard to say in 90 when they gridlocked most of the Greater Seattle area it wasn't supposed to snow at all. This area is considered hard to predict because of how the storms react to the Olympic Mountains.

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They keep revising the snow amounts down now. We are not in the area that was supposed to get 18 inches, that was a bit further west (not much), but we were supposed to get 6 to 12 inches. Last night they revised it to 3 to 8 inches. This morning they are saying 3 to 5 inches. 100% chance. This must be a fast storm because the sky over my house is blue as can be. What clouds there are do not look stormy at all.... not even grey. For here, for this time of year, it feels atypically sunny, actually.

Cindyc.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I just hope they are wrong about the 70mph gusts we are supposed to get. Snow is much nicer when you have power.

·
God Smacked Jesus Freak
7,456 Posts
pink carnation--I was almost 4 in 68 and I remember that Seattle snow! I have a pic I love of me and my mom making a snowman:D I remember another big snow in the early 70's too?

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
We have a blizzard warning starting this afternoon out here on the North Coast. The forecast says up to 15 inches of snow. I don't mind the snow.

The sucky part is it will turn to rain by Tuesday. Rain on top of snow is a real mess. There will be flooding. The bad part is, our plow drivers rarely put their plows all the down down to the pavement. Yuck!

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I understand it correctly, there is something about the island here that keeps some of the worst weather away. (Maybe it is where it is in relationship to the sound, or in relationship to the mountains? I can't remember). But we are only expected to get wind gusts up to 20 mph and only 3 to 5 inches of snow now. Ya'll stay safe.

BTW the National Weather Service Seattle Office has a good slide show about this weather system. It tells exactly what the wind sheers are going to be in each specific are of the peninsula, and how much snow each particular area is supposed to get too. Check it out if you want more specific information about what to prepare for.

Cindyc.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Here's our most current weather warning:

North coast and western Strait of Juan de Fuca... heavy snow will
develop late this afternoon at the same time that strong east
winds develop. This combination of heavy blinding snow and east
winds gusting to 50 mph will create blizzard conditions tonight.
This will affect land areas along the Strait of Juan de Fuca such
as Clallam Bay... Sekiu and Neah Bay.

Storm total snowfall in these areas is expected to be 9 to
15 inches. The strong winds tonight will cause whiteout
conditions which could disorient anyone driving or getting caught
outdoors. Traveling on Highway 112 will be extremely dangerous
tonight into Sunday morning. The winds will also cause snow to
blow and build into drifts. Wind chill values near 10 degrees are
expected tonight.

In the Olympics... heavy snow will develop late this afternoon at
the same time that strong east winds are developing. The
combination of heavy blinding snow and east winds gusting locally
in excess of 75 mph will create blizzard conditions through Sunday
morning.

Storm total snowfall in the Olympics will reach one to two feet.

·
Banned
7,802 Posts
Take a look at this satellite map, it looks like a pretty big system going to hit us from south Oregon all the way up the coast to the Alaska panhandle. From the looks of it their estimate of it hitting us in the late afternoon sounds about right. Right now it's beautiful and sunny here too, but extremely cold for the coast.

http://www.accuweather.com/maps-satellite.asp?partner=netweather

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
It is starting to snow and the wind is picking up here by the ocean. It's coming your way soon.

DH packed an overnight bag to take to work. He does not expect to come home tonight from Clallam Bay.

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is starting to snow and the wind is picking up here by the ocean. It's coming your way soon.

DH packed an overnight bag to take to work. He does not expect to come home tonight from Clallam Bay.
Oh wow! You guys stay safe out there. Hope he has a place to stay warm at work!

Cindyc.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
My mom left for AL just in time! Not to mention the two buses hanging on the cliff!

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
It is snowing a light powder right now. I am exactly where the weather report says it's going to hit hardest, on a ridge yby Hood Canal in North Kitsap. I put on Vince Guaraldi's soundtrack to Charlie Brown's Christmas - it seems very appropriate. I'm going to give the hogs one more fill up of hot water (it doesn't stay warm long!) and then fill up the bathtub so in case the power goes out, I've got something to give them. Got to get all the dishes done, too.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
The snow is falling here now...so far no real wind. I am hoping that we don't have a repeat of the 2003 storm they have been talking about. That year trees took out 7 power poles on our road. We were very fortunate then since it only took 3-4 days to get our power back.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
We live in the South Sound area of Washington State. The weather prediction is up to 14 and as much as 16inches of snow here. We alread have 1 foot on the ground! We have everything ready in case of power outage that will last quite a while. I hope we are ready. This isn't pretty. It's down right scary.

·
God Smacked Jesus Freak
7,456 Posts
I've got 18" total now, it's been piling up the last few hours at about an inch+ an hour. Just shovelled off the decks, shovelled out the wood pile area, shovelled paths around the house and out to the road. I absolutely love it!

my house

1 - 20 of 37 Posts