Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've used the same vets for over 20 years and I guess I've been spoiled. An office visit is $35 and if we go back for something related they don't charge for the visit. Usually if medicine is needed it is less than $10 and we get it there. Once when some medicine was $30 the vet went on and on saying he was sorry it was so expensive but he felt it was really needed. When Tess was in the hospital for 3 days when she became paralyzed the treatment and hospital stay came to less than $200. I had read that acupuncture could sometimes help paralyzed dogs and since my vet doesn't offer this we'd been taking Tess to a vet in another town for these treatments. This vet wanted to do a urine culture since paralyzed dogs are prone to urinary infections because they can't clear their bladder on their own. Tess did have some kind of urinary infection I think it started with a g but can't remember what it was called. My vet had missed this when Tess had a urinary test a few weeks ago, so I guess the acupuncture vet IS really good. Anyway the acupuncture vet wrote a prescription to a drugstore for the meds. I'd never heard of such a thing but took it in. When I went to pick up the medicine at the drugstore the bill was $179.00. I almost fainted. I want Tess to get well, but can't help but believe there is something she could take that would have been cheaper and still do the job. The medicine is amoxcillin clavulanate potassium. The drug store had already mixed one bottle, so I had to take it. She is to take it for 21 days, so they sold me three bottles--one mixed up and two that are still powder. One bottle would be enough, but I'm supposed to throw the mixed up bottle away after 10 days and bring the second powdered bottle back to the drug store to be mixed then, and then in 10 days bring the third. The lady at the drugstore told me they would refund my money if I brought back the powder unopened. I find this hard to believe since I didn't think anybody took drugs back, but after realizing that the third bottle is for One Day's dose I'll surely try to return it. I can't believe something is good on day 10, but on day 11 becomes no good and almost $60 for one day's dose is unreal. Sorry to be so long, but this is one of the craziest things I've ever heard of, and I guess I need to let the acupuncture vet know I'm not a millionaire.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
OMG! Why can't regular antibiotics do the trick? I would call the acupncture/vet and ask him/her why such a complicated perscription is needed.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, when I was at the drugstore I was so shocked that I just couldn't think and didn't know what to do, so I wrote the check. I guess it is too late now since the money is spent (unless the drugstore really will give me a refund on the unopened and unmixed bottles). I'm going to ask the acupuncture vet about the reason for this prescription when we go for the next treatment. That will be the day I'm supposed to get bottle #2 mixed. I know that we'll be going to my regular vet for any further medical treatments. They may not have as much experience with back disease but I've always been happy with their care and know they're going to do their best to keep things at a reasonable cost.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Oh my. That's just Augmentin! Which is basically Clavamox (the veterinary form)! I hate to say this but I'm thinking that for a 3 week course in a small dog (I just assumed she was small), you would be looking at something like $60 to *maybe* $75 tops if you had got the veterinary form (and maybe even less than that from your old vet!). Yikes!

Ouch-I just looked up what a bottle of Clavamox drops cost at KV (this is enough to do a 10# dog for 1 week): $12.95! Of course you probably didn't want to wait a couple of days for the med, but for that price you could have had it overnighted.

Let the acupuncture vet know, she may have no idea how much the med was at the pharmacy. Not that she can do anything to change what you already bought, but maybe she'll think twice about prescribing this particular med to the next person!

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GoldenMom, thanks for the reply. I will let this vet know. The community she is in is more upscale than the one I'm from, but maybe she doesn't realize how much this stuff costs at the drugstore.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ask about using cipro its alot cheaper. Its on most drug stores cheap list. You will also want to ask for tablets. 20 tabs of 500mg cipro is $5.00 here. Mike Rph

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm guessing that the acupuncture vet doesn't carry a pharmacy on-site and that's why the script was written. The regular vet could have dispensed the antibiotics and you'd have paid a minimum fee for it. Shame on the vet for doing this when she could have sent you back to the other vet for the meds.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I really don't think anyone is to blame in this situation. The poster was given a written prescription for a VERY common antibiotic and by bad luck, filled it at a very expensive pharmacy. The vet was out of the loop totally.

I'm guessing that the acupuncture vet doesn't carry a pharmacy on-site and that's why the script was written. The regular vet could have dispensed the antibiotics and you'd have paid a minimum fee for it. Shame on the vet for doing this when she could have sent you back to the other vet for the meds.
Most vets (myself included) do not keep a running pricelist for outside pharmacies. I have six I can think of within my practice radius.

Prior to reading this thread, I would have never guessed ANY pharmacy would have charged more $50-60 for three bottle of liquid Augmentin. Hence, if I were to write this prescription I would have just handed it over to the client also without giving it a second thought about telling them where to get it filled.

If I prescribe a medication I KNOW is expensive I will tell people to start at the local WalMart Pharmacy and/or shop the internet if the patient can wait a few days for the medications, but I do not have time in my day to priceshop outside pharmacies for my clients.

There is shame on no one here...just the bad luck of walking into an expensive pharmacy.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
Wow, that was quite pricey!

That's the same med my son takes for ear infections...usually $8 a bottle for a week.

I also get "free" samples from a nurse friend. These are the little bottles that dr. offices get in for free samples. She gives me 8-10 little bottles at a time. I use them for my critters.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
I always call around to pharmacies for price checks before filling. If my vet wants to know what pharmacy to call it into, I call him back after checking. What I don't understand is that if people can be prescribed a basic antibiotic (amoxi, etc) for a low price of free- how come that does not apply to prescriptions from vets? Now I know when I needed a script for a pup for griseofulvin years ago it cost me $200 for the script from my vet (I asked what it was made of gold?). I wound up not giving the full course of 30 days and still have it in my cabinet 5 yrs later as I cannot see tossing $150 worth of meds. Now that same script was only $50 in OH....but around here, $200 was about avg.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today I was in town so I went to the pharmacy (Rite Aid) where I got the medicine. Even though I had paid with a check on Monday they gave me a refund of $120.00 cash for the two unopened/unmixed bottles. I think this was Very good service and will surely use this drugstore again. Tomorrow I'm going to call the vet and see if she will call in a prescription to drsfostersmith.com for the Clavamox that GoldenMom mentioned. It is out of stock at KV until Jan. 5. but this other place lists it in stock for $11.99 a bottle. I'll need two bottles. If there is some reason that Tess has to have the people form of the drug they assured me at Rite Aid I could come back and get it there. If I do, I'll only get one bottle because $60 for one dose (for the 21st day) is just too much. I'll give her the dose out of the bottle that is supposed to be discarded after 10 days but will be 11 days old by then.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Took Tess back to the vet today and she had no idea the drug could be so expensive at some places. She said she'd have warned me had she known. Earlier in the week, I took the advice that some on here offered and called around to price this drug at various places. The prices I got for 100ml ranged from $79.00 to $43.00, but at Target they told me that they also sold the drug in a 50ml bottle for a little over $22.00. 50ml is more than enough since Tess needs to take 2.2ml a day for 10 more days, so the vet wrote a new prescription and we got the remainder of the drug that Tess needs for $22.00. Sure wish I'd have been smart enough to call around before buying the first 10 day supply.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts