17 hp Twin B/S

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by billyj, May 31, 2005.

1. billyj

billyj Well-Known Member

My Murray lawn mower has Twin 17 and not long ago I posted a problem I was having with it missing. You were very helpful in determing the problem, and has been running great, now I have a different one.

The engine has a surge as if you are turning the switch on and off in other words the govenor cable rocks back-n-forth if that helps and the engine wont smooth out.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    1. Fuel filter 2. Governor fouled or out of adjustment 3. Air leak at the intake manafold. 4 Fuel cap vent clogged. 5. Clogged air filter.

Take off the air filter, with the engine running near wide open slap your hand over the air intake as to starve the engine of air, now as it is hitting the last couple of strokes, snatch your hand away to allow air to again reenter the engine. That pressure change might cure the problem if its a clogged carb. The mentioned symptoms relate directly to the fuel system.

3. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Does it occur when the mower is engaged? when you are in gear? all the time?

How long has it done this? have you changed the air filter? hit dust pocket after recently changing the air filter? how old is the fuel?

maybe a couple more questions....

William

4. billyj

billyj Well-Known Member

Many thanks to Moopups and William for your input, had to rebuild the carburator, works fine now.
    Billy j