15 PPM diesel fuel..

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by james dilley, Jul 7, 2006.

1. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

How will the New regulations for 15PPM of sulpher in Our diesel fuel effect the older engines?? ant ideas from the diesel mechanics out here????

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

From the info I have read the engines should perform better as for as longivity.

3. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

There was A write up on it in The Flying J newsltter, And it looked like there was A big downside to it.. It said A loss of power, And higher fuel usage.. I just wonder what the truth is.???

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I was thinking there will be a loss of lubricity. Here in MN we are manated to have 2% soyoil in diesel now, probably ramping up tp 5% in a couple years. So that breings us back to good lubricity.

In a year or 2 it will go to 7 ppm I think. This will leave us with 3 types of engines on the road, and 1 type of fuel. Should be interesting.

Much higher priced fuel, and poorer ecconomy. What a deal the govt gives us......

--->Paul

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

We went to ultra-low-sulfur diesel here in Australia a few years ago.
    Some older seals don't like it and will perish and spring leaks - mostly injector pump leaks.
    There was a big fuss about it when it came out and quite a few people complained to fuel companies and got their seals redone for free.

So keep an eye out.

6. jefferson

jefferson fuzzball in the Cascades

You can just bet on it. If our government mandates it, it is NOT good for us or our engines.

7. boonieman

boonieman Well-Known Member

That's exactly why diesel is more expensive now. (Well, one of the many excuses.) The oil companies were required to remove the sulfur, and then had to replace it with additives to maintain the lubricicity. The days of diesel requiring less refining, thus lower cost, are over.

8. countrymech

countrymech Well-Known Member

I've been told by some of the older guys that we should be adding a bottle of fuel additive to every tank of the new fuel to beef up its lubricity. My wife and I recently acquired an '03 Sierra Crew Cab. I believe the engine is the original LB7 Duramax, so I've been asking around trying to figure it out. There are also several forums on th net devoted to the big three diesels, I just haven't had time to check 'em out.

9. boonieman

boonieman Well-Known Member

I had an 01 Dodge Cummins, an 03 Dodge Cummins, and I now have an 06 Ford Powerstroke. I haven't used additive in any of these engines and have had no issues with them. I personally believe where you would see the effects most would be long term wear, like on the valves, injectors, etc. They probably some day discover that these additives they are putting in is worse on the environment than sulfur. Seems to me that one decent volcano would quickly undo any amount of low sulfur vehicles running around. But I'm no expert on anything.

10. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

the removal of sulphur which comes from the lubricant in fuil tends to wear pumps and injectors out , in the L 10 cummins the life of the injectors is lowered by 75% to around 125.000 miles , the life of the pumps on VW Jetta/Golf diesels drops from 200.000 to 75 000 miles , in the transport industry we put 1 pint of mineral (NOT synthetic ) engine oil in 100 gallons of diesel , that cures the problem .,