Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Seeking Type
2,102 Posts
So far here 2 bull calves, and 3 heifers. Last year I was about 60/40 (60% heifers).

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
I believe it's got something to do with the temps last year when they bred..

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey look at it this way, that if your going to be timing future calving with the seasonality of grass they were born wrong, and calf prices are pretty good now. Besides with the new move you are probably busy enuf without all those babies to feed, ( and more milk to sell) . I am lucky to get two heifers a year.

·
KS dairy farmers
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a mix. The calves are from both AI and our Ayrshire bull. We did have a run of heifers before the run of bull calves but enough is enough already. I wanted to puke when we had this absolutly gorgious red Normande born. Great coloring with lots of unique spots. Of course it was a bull! I've been trying to get a red Normande heifer for years now.

Heather

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I don't have anything like the same number of cows as you but interestingly of the 5 that calved last October, 3 were bulls and of the four that calved in April, 3 were bulls. Lambing was the same - of the 28 lambs docked, 19 of them were ram lambs.

I have a friend who operates an Angus stud and 75% of her calves by both bull and AI were bull calves. She was very disappointed as it narrowed down her options for keeping replacement heifers. I prefer bull calves as I'm not keeping anything for replacements and bull calves suit me better but certainly a problem if keeping replacements from within your own herd.

Up North, your just going to have to wait a little longer for that Normande, another breed I don't have here. I'll have to do some research on that.

Cheers,
Ronnie

·
Dairy Farmer
119 Posts
It will run in cycles. Last year one of the dairies around here, had 30 bulls out of 40 cows. And so far this year she has had 10 heifers in a row. I do not know how this season is going to run. Guess will fined out in about three weeks. But since half the herd is due in the next 60 days. I hope for some bulls at least. Do not have that many trees in the yard. LOL

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Kinda makes sexed semen look cheap huh UpNorth? Using 100% sexed on my heifers now, we've had 12 heifers and 1 bull out of the last 13 including about half cows and half heifers.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
We had a two year stretch when we had three keepable heifers the entire time. There were a couple JerAngus heifers during that two year time since we ran a clean-up bull, but they were sold within the first week for the most part.
That was when we were calving out a good 40 cows a year, I think.
We currently have 6 heifers under a year old.
Oddly enough, another farmer I know has had a run of bulls similar to your length if not more. This includes twin bull calves as well. She's had a couple of years with no dairy heifers. She's smaller than us.
Must a been something in the air. Most people I've run into have run mostly bull calves this year.

·
Farm lovin wife
3,236 Posts
If you're going to be selling any as bottle calves, depending on how much you're asking, we would be interested in a couple for meat for the freezer. :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
We only have the one milk cow but she had a heifer and we wanted a bull. Of course all of our goats had bucks this year and we wanted does, we got one doe only.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Number 8 arrived late yesterday morning. He's a big boy. If he weren't so related to most of the herd (Myrher-P, Jace, Lemvig, Lester) he'd be raised for a clean up bull to use in 9-10 months. That and all the papers on his daughters would go back to J1s since he'd be a UR bull.
Ah well. Here is Essie (3/4 Jersey, 1/4 Norwegian Red) and her bull calf out of Ahlem (1J619-test sire {Jace X Lemvig}), so he's 7/8 J, 1/8 NR.

We are now over half way done with calving this year.....

·
KS dairy farmers
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Number 15 bull calf born yesterday. Heck, even Marks sister gave birth to a boy the same day. :) We can use the bull calves as an excuse to check out all the sale barns since we are new to the area. Brought a group of bull calves to Newkirk, OK last week. Was the first time I went to a sale barn. Very interesting. Here's our newest bull calf.

Heather

1 - 20 of 34 Posts