14 babies!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by MNrednecks, May 15, 2006.

1. MNrednecks

MNrednecks Member

:D So we adopted 4 rabbits, we were told they were all females and could live fine together, well i guess they fooled someone cause now i have 14 littles bunnies :p i have seperated the male and put the females with thier own litters but we are total newbies and i'm not sure what to do now :shrug: how old do they need to be to be away from mom??what do i feed them??any advice at all would be great!!! thank you in advance ps. if anyone is interested i'll post pics

2. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I leave my babies in with their mother until they are about 5 weeks old. Some keep them with mom until they are older, but mine seem to do fine. I had 16 babies born last week. One doe had 10 and the other doe 6. Hope everything goes well with you and your bunnies.

3. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

Yes! please post pictures!

4. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

I would say about 4-5 weeks, unless some of them are really small, then just wean the bigger ones. I used to go by 12 ounces, but that was for smaller pet bunnies. Don't feed them anything special, when they are ready for solid food they will eat the pellets just like Mommy.

5. MNrednecks

MNrednecks Member

Thank you for the tips, the timing sounds great! i'm haveing a yard sale that weekend seems like a good time to sell a few as pets, does anyone know what price to ask per bunny? and here is a piture of the first litter thier about7-9 days old here. http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f188/dubois420/100_1198.jpg

6. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

they are soo cute. WHere are you at???

7. MNrednecks

MNrednecks Member

there only gettin' cuter! we are in southeren Minnesota. we are now down to the five in the pic but at least they lived, we were told these rabbits have had 3 litters and never kept any! is there anything anyone knows of to get them to take better care of the bunnies? my 11 year old daughter is the one who takes care of them and she has had a grim task of cleaning out the culled, yesterday her pet giunie pig died then she went out to see the bunnies to "cheer" her up and there were 2 more thrown out and a partial in the cage to clean out, she got pretty sad, any ideas would be great!!! thanks again

8. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

are they all still in the same cage? does each doe have her own nest box with plenty of hay and fur? how are they dieing? are they being found dead on the wire or dead in the nest box?
    if they are found dead on the wire what is probably happening is they are eather hanging on to moms teats when she jumps out of the box or they are just bigenough to find the opening and jump out on their own but cant jump back in and are getting chilled,
    how big are they now?
    if they are found dead in the box something else is going on.
    what kind of nest box do you have for them? if the doe is draging the kits out when she leaves the nest you need somesort of scraper piece attached to the bottome of the nest box opening so she can just get out but not drag a kit with her, this may also help in keeping the little ones in if they are jumping/falling out of the nest hole on their own,
    if they are getting out on their own and cant get back in depending on what sort of nest box you have you could eather turn it on its side or put some sort of a ramp in the front to make it easyer for the little ones to get back in

9. MNrednecks

MNrednecks Member

thanks KSALguy, here is my set up i have 2 cages the first one has the doe and kits in half and my 2 bucks in the other half that doe and kits are doing good now(after 3 were found out side the cage) her nest box has 3 sides so maybe they did wiggle out but it was when they were only 2-3-days old, the second cage has 4 does i seperated one right after she had kits(we didn't know she was expecting) but 4 of 8 were found dead in the nest not eaten just dead? there was pleanty of hay and hair that one really puzzled me, so i took the 4 that were left and put them with the first doe to see if she might "foster" them no such luck they were eaten. can i keep 4 does in the same cage as long as there not expecting? I'm also afraid that if i handle the kits the mom may not care for them, is that true? and is there any problem with 2 bucks living together? :shrug:

10. KSALguy

ok first your nest box needs lots more sides, top bottom and four sides with a hole cut just big enough for her to get in, this will help keep everyone inside the nest, the babies probably didnt crawl out at that early of an age but when they are latched on to mom and she gets out they can be taken for a ride if there is nothing to stop them,
    when you put the babies from one nest to the other were they about the same age? did you clean the scent off them from the other mom? just to be sure i would always rub some vanilla on the does nose anytime i messed with the kits (which was as LITTLE as possible) that way she wouldnt smell me on her babies, some does you dont need to do this with some you do as far as i can tell.
    four does can live togather as long as they all have space that is THEIRS, weather they kindle or not, but if they do have kits they need their own privat nest box well away from anyone elses box, two bucks may or may not get along, sometimes you will end up with them peeing all over eachother and their cage and you, or they will fight till one is killed or mamed or just severly put out with the whole thing.
    you just need to eather have a HUGE HUGE cage for your four does or each have their own, and i would also separate the two bucks just to be safe

11. MNrednecks

MNrednecks Member

Thank you again KSALguy,that all seems very helpful. the vanilla trick sounds pretty cleaver, one more question when it gets real hot can i freeze a soda bottle with water and put it in there hut? my thought is they can lay on or lick it just to keep cool but i'm a little concerned with them eating the plastic. what do ya think?

12. KSALguy

that is actually a very common practice, lots of people do it, and it does help alot to cool the rabbits down