12V water pump

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HarleysMom, Sep 27, 2004.

1. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

I had a neighbor, a few years ago, that used a water pump from a vehicle, I think, to pump water in his well up to a tank. I think the static level of water was close to 300 feet down. Does anyone know what kind of vehicle water pump that he might have used to do that? The property changed hands and he passed away, so I don't have any way to find out how he did it. I am interested in finding an inexpensive way to pump water like he did.

2. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

you and me both but i dont know either!

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I've used 12v dc rv type pumps to pump from a cistern to the house. These are not strong enough to do a 300 ft well. A vehicle water pump is not likely to be strong enough either.

There are 12 v dc 'slow' pumps that will do what you want. You would prob want to go to 24 v dc to get the power to pump that deep tho.

You might want to investigate the bubble pump as being a less expensive alternative.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

5. HarleysMom

He had said there were just a couple of automotive water pumps that could do it and he told me which ones but it has been about 7 years and I can't remember. He got less than a gallon a minute but had plenty for his needs. He used to pull the pump up himself and work on it when he needed to. Just wish I could remember which pump he used. And the static level in the well was a typo. It was about 200 feet instead of 300 feet.

6. HarleysMom

Okay, I just located an old friend of my neighbors and he said that the automotive water pump worked for a while and that my neighbor replaced it with a shurflo pump because of problems. Oh well. Back to the drawing board. The bubble pump idea won't work in my well because it is too far down to my water and not enough depth of water.