12 Volt Power From Suv

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by NJ Rich, Oct 31, 2006.

1. NJ Rich

NJ Rich NJ Rich

I hope I can explain this properly. I want to make a power cable that would clip or bolt to the posts of my GMC Jimmy's battery and run to the house. I want duplex outlets on the house end. My idea is to power a couple of 12 volt lights and a radio in the house in the event of power outages. I can run the engine to recharge the battery when needed. If I run the battery down too far to start the SUV I have another vehicle to jump start it. I think the alternator in the 93 SUV may have more charging power then the wifes 2000 Buick. I'll have to look into that.

I would need to run about 30 feet from the SUV to the back hallway where it can plug in other extention cords.

What is the best way to attach to the battery? Are clips O.K.? What size wire would I need? What size in-line fuse should I use? Are there any safety problems? What other ideas do any of you have? Thanks, NJ Rich

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Most RV outlets can supply whatever you need, the RVs usually have the dual system from the factory. A permanent bolt to the battery system is available that usually features a dual prong externally mounted plug in.

3. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

I keep the travel trailer batteries charged in a battery box in the basement. When the power goes out I attach a power converter to it and plug the TV in. That's enough light for the living room. Flashlights or candles for the other rooms.

4. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

If you are talking about a 12 volt only lighting and radio set up in your house, i would run 8 ga. power wire from the battery to the house. Install a fuse on the Postive power wire within 18 inches of the battery. For what youare running, a 10 or 15 amp fuse should suffice just fine. Larger alligator type clamps will work, but i dont reccomend them, would be best to wire in a harness/plug. The extensions your are reffering too? What are you talking about? If you use too light of wire and too long of a run, the wire will overheat, a potential fire hazzard! 12 volt DC is different than 120volt AC!!!!!!It takes more current for 12 volts than it does for 120 volts given the same load!!!!!!!

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Why not hook up an inverter and run 120 AC to the house? I have a 300 watt version and an 800 watt inverter. If I use the bigger one the engine is running to keep up.

6. NJ Rich

NJ Rich NJ Rich

I am "electrically impared". I have no background with electicity be it 12 volt or house current. That is why I am asking the informed folks at Shop Talk.

Give me some info about 12 volt inverters and "in-house wiring" to be safe. I need site addresses and part numbers so I don't mess up. We are doing some remodeling and will have a good electrician here that can keep me out of trouble. Thanks all. NJ Rich

7. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

I would get a grundig s350 for a radio you will love it best tuner available under 1000 dollars and i get about 4 moths on 4 D batteries with an hour a day + listening time
    and a few oil lamps for kichen and dining room and some led flash lights one for each person

radio 100.00 i have had mine 4 years best radio i have ever owned am fm shortwave
    the only thing i wish it had was upper and lower side bands
    led flash lights 5.00 each
    oil lamp 10.00 for a cheap one more for a real nice round wick version
    1 gal lamp oil 7.00 for a lot of hours of light
    maybe a few emergency candels i found the ones that sell as 72 hour emergency candels in the tall glass jars are the same candlels as at the grocery for a dollar but the dollar ones have jesus , mary , joseph and saints on them

as for communications radios my ham radios will run 48 hours listen time on a fully charged auto battery just have to keep the talk time down and use least wattage nessasary. then you can always run the batt out to the jimmy with a pair of jumper cabels and be charged in 20 minutes.

Pete

8. ponyboy123

ponyboy123 Well-Known Member

I puchased a 1000 watt generator on ebay, brand new for 100 bukks. Able to run about 16, 60 watt bulbs from it. It also comes in handy for portable power for repairs. It will run a skill saw, or a grinder, or vacuum. Have your electrician hard wire a pug to you service box to plug into the generator in case of a power outage. Auto alternators are just not thar efiuecient for making power and will end up costing u in the long run.

9. texican

texican Well-Known Member

Back when I was totally off grid, I did have to use the truck's alternator to charge my house batteries... used long jumper cables tied in to the batteries... not kosher, but it worked...

Looking back, if all I needed was lights and radio, I could go with LED lights and my portable sw radio...

10. vallyfarm

vallyfarm Well-Known Member

I'd go to any auto place and get one of those "jump packs" that come with their own battery, normally a light, 12 volt outlets, and some have an inverter built in. These should easily power what you describe for at least a day with out recharging, and when they do, you can charge them back up off the truck cig lighter, or off 120 house current. Only $40-$60 and no fussing with wires outside in the cold when the power goes out. Mike

11. NJ Rich

NJ Rich NJ Rich

Thanks for your opinions and the info. I have battery powered radios ; candles and 4 kerosene lamps(2 large capacity; one medium capacity and one small one). I just bought the mediun size for $3.00 at a flea market.

At Shop Talk I am searching for info that will give me more options. I also toyed with the idea of LED lights and a battery. The LED lights will ceratinly use a lot less voltage and give a lot of light.

Any thoughts about stringing LED lights or fixtures that are movable (different places within a room) and would be tied to the 12 volt battery? Where is a good source to buy LED's that aren't expensive?

I have asked many times about buying Klean Heat fuel. The only site I found was in Indiana or Illiniose. The shipping costs was too much money. I live in NJ as you can tell and while Ace Hardware and True Value carry Klean Strip products none of them can get the fuel from their ware houses. I can get K-1 kero for about $7.00 a gallon. Any thoughts on sources for Klean Heat? Thanks, NJ Rich