Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have one. My wife is starting to get a lot of orders where she works for eggs and meat. I was wondering if something like this is worth it? Will they take the heat of the inside of a car? How much do they drain the battery? I'm not sure with the high price of them that it would ever pay for it's self.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Do you mean one of those ice chest sized things, or a real freezer like a Sundanzer? The ice chest things will maintain a temperature a fixed number of degrees cooler than the ambient temp, and are cheap and use a surprising amount of power.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Do you mean one of those ice chest sized things, or a real freezer like a Sundanzer? The ice chest things will maintain a temperature a fixed number of degrees cooler than the ambient temp, and are cheap and use a surprising amount of power.
That's exactly correct, if the weather is cold out side,( and the cooler is left out side), stuff freezes and when it's hot just keeps things cool.
I think the temp difference is rated at about 20 degrees below ambient for the cooling side. If reversed, it heats.
I have a couple, got them at rimmage sales, as they didn't do all the stuff people thought they would.

They will suck your car battery down, if it's not running. Voice of experience.

If she is just going to deliver stuff, and doesn't need it frozen, AND the vechile is running, AND she has stuff and the cooler cold, BEFORE she puts it in, should work fine.

I have added a couple of power outlets in the bed of the truck, to run one of these (among other things) on trips, but I wired/fused it to the tail light circuit, so it only runs if plugged in and the lights are on.

I would imagine that a "real freezer" is considerably more money, but it doesn't seem that's what your looking for.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A good size 12 volt cooler keeps the temp about 40 under the ambient temp and are around $200 for them but the 12 volt freezer I'm looking at hold the temp 0 - 40 and run from $300 - $600 Does it help to run it off its own battery? I'm just kicking around ideas.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's exactly correct, if the weather is cold out side,( and the cooler is left out side), stuff freezes and when it's hot just keeps things cool.
I think the temp difference is rated at about 20 degrees below ambient for the cooling side. If reversed, it heats.
I have a couple, got them at rimmage sales, as they didn't do all the stuff people thought they would.

They will suck your car battery down, if it's not running. Voice of experience.

If she is just going to deliver stuff, and doesn't need it frozen, AND the vechile is running, AND she has stuff and the cooler cold, BEFORE she puts it in, should work fine.

I have added a couple of power outlets in the bed of the truck, to run one of these (among other things) on trips, but I wired/fused it to the tail light circuit, so it only runs if plugged in and the lights are on.

I would imagine that a "real freezer" is considerably more money, but it doesn't seem that's what your looking for.
She would be carrying the stuff with her and working all day then after work be handing things out. I'm not sure anything 12 volt will meet my needs. If staying in the SUV all day is to hot i could make a locking cage that fits the hitch and sits behind the SUV all day.

·
Registered
964 Posts
If its a peltier cooler (the thermoelectric thing) then its a waste of money, even if they're cheap.

I picked up a 12V freezer for the lab to keep samples frozen. This thing uses the same amount of power (4amps) but can actually cool/freeze stuff. The only problem was it was around $600.

When its a freezer, it runs all time. 4 amps and 8 hours would be 32 amp hours. Max of 50% discharge, and you could get by with a 80amp hr battery. Charge it each night. The battery would be oversized for just refrigeration. Get a solar panel, and you might be able use a smaller battery. I'd just get a big mucking battery and charge it each night.

Looking at some Engel modles, they only use 2.5amps max. Less on refrigeration.

The Engles work in the desert, I believe, so a hot car shouldn't be a problem. They'll use more electricity, but they should still cool.
One chart of performance shows that at 45degC (113F) it will still get below freezing. 100% run time, 2.3amps.

As for the economics of it... depending on size you'll be dropping $650- $850 on one. Thats a lot of eggs to sell. Custom high priced meat on the other hand...

Another option is to make a cutom megga ice box. Use 2 layers of 2" extruded polystyrene foam. Add ice, and test it out for cooling. Get solar window fans to keep the interior of the car close to ambient. Plan ahead. Only take it in once or twice a week. If someone HAS TO HAVE something, bring it in the next day, and give it to them in the morning. Let them worry about refrigeration.

Michael

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
A good size 12 volt cooler keeps the temp about 40 under the ambient temp and are around $200 for them but the 12 volt freezer I'm looking at hold the temp 0 - 40 and run from $300 - $600 Does it help to run it off its own battery? I'm just kicking around ideas.
How about a link to one your looking at. It's really hard to have an idea of power consumption or cooling ability without knowing the unit.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Your cheapest way to "keep the eggs kool" would be to encase a large "Colemen" cooler with at least 4" of 'blue foam' and use jugs of ice you make in your home freezer.

Thats how I keep my food cold when I am gone for a week to the Energy Fair in WI.

When I saw the "12 volt " title I thought . .you betcha I do have a 12\24volt SunDanzer freezer . . . .but you might not like the price tag . . . .It is top of the line and will use less power over 24 hrs than those Peltier units.

With the Peltier unit (that I have) with the temp inside your suv at 95f . .your eggs are gonna be at a very cool 75f . . .and you battery will be way Down.
Me thinks you don't want that

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just google 12 volt freezer and most seam the same. Now if a web site doesn't say prices i hate that and most times don't even fool with them. I think a modified cooler might do because the one i have now will hold ice for 3 days.

·
Banned
6,787 Posts
If ya go the ice box route you can make your own "ICE" with a bit of antifreeze that way you can get the in box temp down to however cold your at home freezer will go.
I have a friend who uses this method and it takes a few DAYS to freeze his cooler ice jugs so you might wanna plan ahead.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If ya go the ice box route you can make your own "ICE" with a bit of antifreeze that way you can get the in box temp down to however cold your at home freezer will go.
I have a friend who uses this method and it takes a few DAYS to freeze his cooler ice jugs so you might wanna plan ahead.
Hummm thanks. This is something that would only happen 1 or 2 times a week.

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
www.fridgefreeze.com
I also have a COLEMAN 12 v Sterling cycle freezer/cooler- 3 cool settings, 2 freeze settings. Bought it as a hurricane prep to go with our solar harvester. Use it frequently with the a/c adapter as an auxilary freezer, and for picking up our SHAREFLORIDA food.It was $600 3 yers ago.
www.shareflorida.org
I dream of getting a fridge freeze unit for my camper van stealth RV when I retire..

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
What about one of those Extreme ice chest. They will keep ice for up to 5 days. I've been reading on the camping forums they really do keep ice that long. I would think that would be the way to go. Freeze milk jugs of water to keep the meat and eggs cool.

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
I drive a truck for a living and we use 12v coolers all of the time. We use the Igloo brand 12v cooler and the Road Pro brand they sell at truck stops. The Igloo has been used for 6 years straight plugged in every day with no problems beyond a broken handle. Have a 110 converter so you can plug it in at the house and keep it cool. We freeze 2 bottles of drinking water and keep them in there and even with the truck parked and shutoff for 24 hrs. have had no problem. You can buy these at Wal-Mart or truck stops for about $70. The Road-Pro are guaranteed for life, I ruined one when it got to 110* in the truck, sent it back they sent me a new one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts