12 ft. disk

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by brosil, Mar 9, 2004.

1. brosil

brosil Well-Known Member Supporter

Anybody know if a Farmal H will pull one? I sure hope so since I've already bought it. I really need a better disk.

2. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Well-Known Member

If it's a tamdem, and I'd say it is, your in for a problem. I've pulled an 8ft with more tractor than that and in soft ground you have to gear down. FB

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

An H is only 20 Draw Bar hp isn't it? I'd really doubt it can pull it, unless you pull it raised and through sandy soil.

4. You'll just have to try it to find out. Different brands of discs pull differently, some fairly easily, others like an anchor. We used to have a 12' Krause that pulled as hard as a Sunflower 18'.

Soil conditions will be the big determining factor as well as how deep you are cutting.
    Often some speed is needed to get a disc to turn/throw the soil properly. Otherwise you have wasted effort.

A lot of 12' discs were pulled with "Ms", but I don't know how they compare to an "H".

5. Jackpine Savage

Jackpine Savage Well-Known Member

I'll second the notion that there is a lot of difference between brands and models of disks and how they pull. I really doubt though that an H would pull a 12'. When I was a kid I pulled a 12' wheeled disk with a Super M and there were times that you either had to lift the disk a bit or go down into 2nd.

6. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

A lot is going to depend on how tired that old Farmal H is. 12ft I think is going to be a bit big.

7. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I spent a lot of time pulling a 12' disk with a IHC 300 in cornstalks or bean stubble. An H is older slightly weaker model of a 300. So, you can do this.

In fresh spring dirt, our H would pull the 10' disk but slowly. 12' might be a lot.

As others say, it varies on the disk & soil conditions.

--->Paul

8. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

With the angle set to minimum it may pull it real slow. That is far too much disk for the h. With an M you could go. You need to trade for a larger tractor or a smaller disk or take some of the disk blades off the 12' to where it is a 8'. Even then it will not pull it deep.

9. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Go with a 6' disk instead. Just twice the trips around the field. How many times a year would you do it anyway? Once?

Ken S. in WC TN

10. I've been thinking of taking some disks off if it pulls too hard. The main reason I wanted it was the wheels. I need something I can transport to my other farm. I'm trying to get by without a plow and need a good disk to break the surface. The old horse-drawn conversions that I've been using just bounce of the top.
    I could use another tracor but that takes money.

11. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

You may as well start soaking the nuts on the disk in penetrating oil to ease the dismantling. Remember you will have to use spacers to substitute for the blades you remove in order to get the axles to tighten on the remaining disc blades.