Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this little 12 footer aluminum boat all patched up, to go fishign in the local (small) rivers around here. Already have an electric trolling motor that works but is a mystery to me what size. I would like to put a small gas powered out board on if poss. but there's a few considerations. Size, I'm thinking no more than 4 hp, and there's a dandy looking 2 hp at a buddies for sale if he gets to fixing it. There's me and the two kids (complete with the fresh water flak jackets) some light fishing gear and probably lunch. We're coming close to capacity for weight with the trolling motor and battery, to add a gasser, so I'm thinking its either or. Rowing is an option, we're in no rush, but I'd like the power if it's worth the bother. Which would you add, the electric or a small gas?

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
My 12 Foot is a wide Bottom,Weight Limit on it is about 480 pounds.It will handle 7 Hp. Motor.

But I'm not using it because I'm little too Big.

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Similar but rated to 600 pounds here. Speed ain't essential.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
We have an old plastic Sears 10' rowboat that we use on a little lake some times. Me in the middle, DW in the rear and DS all over the place. I usually row, but last time we used our 30 pound thrust electric. We haven't used it much and we didn't know how good the battery was, so we took two batteries. The whole load was probably near 600 pounds, maybe more, and that motor scooted us around that lake at a good speed. I was impressed. We even trolled but had to slow down because high speed was too fast.

I'm considering a 14' boat and a new high powered electric instead of a small gas. I'm liking the simplicity and quiet of electric motors more and more.

·
swamper
1,040 Posts
Keep in mind where you fish. If you have to get out of a sudden squall very quickly, 7 hp is better than 2 hp. Split the difference and get a 4 hp Merc.

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
On the 14 foot double wide jon boat we had we used a little 9.9 Mariner and could run up and down the Susquehanna river and all the creeks in our area. Also because it was under 10 hp we could also run the State owned lakes.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Also have a 12'aluminum, wt limit of 570#, with the 4 of us, the boat is full, and just oars get us around very well, balancing the load is the bigger issue for us, a motor of any sort would offset too much.

When it's myself, or just the wife and me , then my little 3hp gas outboard is plenty, and we are not lightweights either. I've been happy with it on 14' rentals as well.

If you can balance the battery weight then two-12v batteries in parallel will give all day running time, and the dry cell marine batteries are very nice, my preferred choice.

Just don't leave home without the oars.:)

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
77,707 Posts
There should be a max HP rating on the boat. It will probably take at least 6 HP to get it to plane. You can go with less if you dont mind going slow

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah 7hp, fast is not needed or especially wanted. I'm staying out of the canal system, lakes and channels. I've been on those with a 36 foot barge and several hundred hp, and even then we wanted a deck gun. Suicide in a small boat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts