11hp honda engine lock up

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by billyj, Jun 21, 2005.

1. billyj

billyj Well-Known Member

What would be some of the reasons an engine would lock up other than lack of oil. The engine was running fine, under very little load, not running at a high rpm, shut the engine off for a little water break, went back to start it up and it was locked up tighter than dicks hat band. The engine is less than 5yrs old and never abused. Thanks for your input.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Does it have enought oil in the crankcase? Hondas have a low oil shut down feature, but this should not cause the engine to not turn. Install through the spark plug hole a few ounces of ATF, this usually needs to seep for a few hours into the problem areas. Mild force after that, see if the piston moves.

3. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Make sure it has oil in crank case. If you are using a electric starter, this might be a place to try is is stuck? Then take out spark plug(s) and put a 1/4 cup of Marvel Mystery Oil in plug holes. Let sit and every so often,try turning the engine over. If you can get back to the flywheel turn it back and forth. I've unstuck engines that have been sitting for as long as 10 years, both V-8's to single piston ones. When you first get it moving-with the plugs loose or out- turn it over twenty or thirty times by hand. Put back in plugs and try to start. This is going to smoke like heck, but it will eventually quit. The Mystery Oil won't hurt a thing, but it will help unstuck the engine. Hope it helps, shadowwalker

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Take the plug wire off and see if you can turn the engine backward by hand.

5. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

Is it an electric or pull start? Make sure it's the engine and not something else. I once bought a nice low mileage Chevy truck very cheaply because the motor was locked up. When we took the automatic tranny out prior to pulling the locked up engine I discovered a piece of the flywheel starter ring gear had broken off fallen down into the bell housing and locked everything up tight. A trip to the salvage yard and less than ten dollars for a flywheel with a good starter ring and a half days work was all it took to have a good pickup dirt cheap.

6. billyj

billyj Well-Known Member

It's a pull start, I put it in the shop because of other things pressing at the moment. should know something on Friday. The engine did have oil and it has an auto shut off on low oil.

Agmantoo, what am I trying to accomplish by turning the engine backwards?. Never thought of that before taking it to the shop.

7. bonarra

bonarra Member

Pull the spark plugs and give it a yank. Sometimes overfilling it ith oil will lock it up and when you pull the plugs and yank the rop oil will fly out and unlock ot. I once saw a Honda that was tipped over and musta had just thr right amount of oil but it locked tight til the plug was removed and the starter rope yanked a few times to expel excess oill

8. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

yup pull the plug..s i saw a engine that flooded with gas when the needle in the carb stuck,it stoped with the inlet valve open , it locked up , we took the plug out and a pint of gas poured out of the cylinder .

9. billyj

billyj Well-Known Member

Yep, did all that before I carried it to the shop, This engine sits on an OUTBACK Bushog, I'm thinking it may be in the clutch. I simply can't seen a Honda engine locking up after shutting it off, I may be wrong.