Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Up North, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Our Hamp cross Gilt farrowed tonite. It was a team effort. Grandma watched the kids. Heather delivered the first 6. After I hung up the milker claws and put the cows out to the west paddock, Heather went to take the kids, and I took over in the Plywood Superhutch nestled in roundbale hay with a flashlight.
    Number 7 had a big head and came hard. Tore the Gilt up a bit. 8 & 9 popped out end to end just like torpedos out of the belly of a submarine. 10 and 11 came at a steady, measured pace. And then it was over. Nothing but satisfied grunts from momma as a writhing squirming mass of 11 piglets voraciously fed on the engorged udders.
    8 Solid white, 2 with Black on back half and white on front half, and one with Classic Hereford markings and color from Big Daddy. All had the Hereford shovel.
    ***These Dang Hogs sure are fun!*************************Mark

2. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

Woohoo!! Congrats Grammie and Grampie!:D What's a Hereford shovel?

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Well done :) Hope the lot make it.

Firefly, I think Mark might be referring to the nose. He and Heather have Herefords which are unobtainable in this country and which I drool over and go green with envy whenever they are mentioned. :Bawling:

Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

WooHoo :dance: Good job! We only have 5 left here and just one or two are unspoken for. Has been the quickest and easiest venture of all. Pigs go much better in TN than in Florida.

5. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

SUPER!!! We start the 29th with one and then more at the end of July. I won't be much help with the first litter...but the July one's will be fun.

6. milkinpigs

milkinpigs Dairy/Hog Farmer

Hot Dog!!!!! If you keep this up, ya'll will be hog farmer who dairy for a hobby!Heather, get the camera out and show us the new little squealers!!!

7. milkinpigs

Ronney, can you get semen from hereford boars to use A.I. on your sows?

8. milkinpigs

Up North, hey you proud piggie parents!!! You forgot to tell us how many little gilts and how many future barrows?

9. Up North

Lotsa Butcher Hogs!, 8 Barrows , 3 gilts. I see by the light of day one of the white ones was actually a light brown saddled piglet!
    All doing great so far!!!!!

10. Up North

You'll have to get that wing healed up so you can catch them new showpigs, LOL! What Boars are next few litters outta?

11. Firefly

How are they doing and can we get some pics??

12. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Yes, some pictures would be nice - says she who still hasn't sat down and worked out how to post a picture herself :rolleyes:

Milkinpigs, I have toyed with the idea of trying to import semen into NZ but gave it away before I even started. There is a small group here that are attempting to breed up the Black Devons and they can't import semen from Australia to broaden their very small genetic base so my chances would be non-existant. Our government agricultural agencies have a blind spot when it comes to pigs.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

13. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

cast is off and pins are out July 17th..
    There are two litters of Double Down, York from PSSS, a litter of Dynasty 4-4 and this litter this week is from Chrome X from Torpedo Farms.
    It is going to kill me to not help.

14. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Have I missed something? What have you been doing to yourself Buck that you have casts and pins to worry about?

Cheers,
    Ronnie

15. Up North

This is just killing me! LOL My camera is in the shop getting fixed. It sure is taking a long time! I'll post some pictures as soon as I get my camera back. Hopefully they won't be weaned by then. LOL All 22 from both my litters are doing great. I had to doctor one little piglet a week ago but he is back to normal. They sure are growing fast!

Heather

16. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

Oh,.... I had a farming accident... :shrug: tripped on a pipe while doing chores, fell, caught myself on my right wrist, broke it clean at the radial head, got 3 pins and 2 wires, and a pretty purple cast.

17. Firefly

OUCH!! Glad you're almost healed!

18. Firefly

Wow, can't even get it from Oz? Maybe you can get some with a little help from your friends. :cool:

19. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Buck, you must be clumsier than me. I'm 5ft nothing and just under 7stone and my mother used to call me a fairy elephant. :rolleyes: Still, that was quite a bad injury and I truely hope it doesn't come back to haunt you in later years. Are the pins there for life? But for heaven's sake, do as the doctors tell you and DON'T be tempted to do more than you should with it before it's completely healed.

Firefly, believe me the thought has crossed my mind but if I got caught........ nor am I sure it would live that long. I dream about having these Hereford pigs, I may just have to uproot and shift to the states - and they probably wouldn't allow me to stay there permantently. Herefords may just have to remain a dream.

Cheers,
    Ronnie